Early Access version 119

MAIN CHANGES

:information_source: Due to changes in the scoring rules, this update had to be delayed waiting for the Galactic Cup to end.

Quests have been introduced in this update. Quests are sets of goals that you gradually fulfil as you play the game. Completing all goals in your current quest will advance you to the next milestone. Completing enough milestones will advance to to the next quest rank. Current goals are chosen randomly from this set:

• Accumulate the specified amount of flight time (in minutes).
  • Fly the specified amount of waves.
  • Fire the specified number of shots. To count, each shot must impact an enemy.
  • Fire the specified number of satellite shots.
  • Collect the specified number of gifts.
  • Collect the specified number of atom power-ups (excluding charity atoms).
  • Collect the specified number of food units.
  • Collect the specified number of golden coins that drop from enemies.
  • Kill the specified number of enemies.
  • Earn the specified number of medals.
  • Earn the specified number of bonuses.
  • Enter orbit on the specified number of galactic landmarks. Each landmark should be of the specified type.
  • Enter orbit on the specified number of planets. Each planet must be of the specified type.
  • Visit the specified number of star systems.
  • Visit the specified number of constellations.
  • Fly the specified number of missions. Missions must be unique and of the specified type. Only victorious missions count towards this goal.
  • Fly the specified number of missions. Missions must be unique and at least as difficult as the specified amount. Only victorious missions count towards this goal.
  • Fly the specified number of missions. Missions must be unique and have the specified environment. Only victorious missions count towards this goal.
  • Fly the specified number of missions. Missions must be unique and part of the Galactic Cup competitive. Only victorious missions count towards this goal.
  • Fly the specified number of missions. Missions must be unique dares flown as part of the League. Only victorious missions count towards this goal.
  • Fly the specified number of missions. You must exclusively use the specified weapon for the duration of each mission. Only victorious missions count towards this goal.
  • Use the specified equipment during missions. Only victorious missions count towards this goal.
  • Use the specified spacecraft during missions. Only victorious missions count towards this goal.

:warning: Quests are still experimental. It’s quite probable that bugs will be found, or the set of goals will be modified/expanded based on your suggestions, or progression to be made easier/harder depending on how fast players are advancing through the ranks. It might even become necessary to reset your ranking. You have been warned.

Also, “Weapon Virtuosity” calculation has changed. Each additional weapon used during the mission has the potential to award up to +1% bonus (depending on how balanced usage is w.r.t. the most-used weapon). A quadratic falloff is applied in order to boost nearly-balanced usages. Non-competitive missions receive +3% for starting with Moron and +25% for using Moron exclusively.

Last but not least, one new music track and one new background!

Bug/Idea medals will be awarded later in the day. Note that your medal cannot be awarded if your in-game callsign doesn’t match your forum name (put it in your forum profile where it says “name” so I can find it).

COMPATIBILITY

You will lose:

• any mid-mission progress
  • your language selection

CHANGELOG

:new: New features – :bulb: Tweaks – :bug: Bug fixes – :gear: Internal changes

• :gear: Deleted users who haven’t logged in during the past week and have less than 10 minutes of playtime, and also users who haven’t logged in during the past 4 weeks and have less than an hour of playtime, and also users who haven’t logged in during the last 12 months and haven’t set an e-mail. Note that users with any purchase are never deleted.

• :bug: Mission Config screen: Fixed mission info abutting slots (@neonep :medal_sports: Bug)

• :bulb: Changed the method backgrounds are colorized per mission/environment type: Hot = red, Frozen = cyan, Darkness = gray, Droid Raid = blue, Retro = green. (@Sammarald :medal_sports: Idea)

• :bug: Reworked “Perseus Molecular Cloud” to make it tile seamlessly (@Pidgey :medal_sports: Bug)

• :gear: Grayscale values are now calculated in linear space (was previously incorrectly in gamma space)

• :gear: Removed R channel content from CI1, CI5, and “Caribbean Tornado” backgrounds.

• :bug: “Points Indicator” no longer appears while player is dead (@Starbrockle :medal_sports: Bug)

• :bug: Dying now resets any slowdown from Chiller snowballs (@RainbowBoyVN :medal_sports: Bug)

• :bug: Compare screen: “Per Hour” values now use automatic precision (@PRO :medal_sports: Bug)

• :bulb: “Asteroids! No, really” wave: Replaced safe zone with 4 danger zones (@ShadowMoon)

• :bulb:“Visitors From Another Dimension”: Now has 4 danger zones on each screen edge.

• :gear: Fixed server crash due to race condition in cURL/OpenSSLv1.0.2 Did not fix; must wait until Ubuntu 22.04 upgrade.

• :bug: Mouse cursor now becomes visible if a System Announcement is received while flying a mission (@Pidgey :medal_sports: Bug)

• :bug: “Asteroid Vortex” wave: Small asteroids now rotate properly (@minasam123 :medal_sports: Bug)

• :bug: “Bossa Nova” wave: Increased spring damping to prevent oscillation of chunks (leading to incorrect reddening) (@minasam123 :medal_sports: Bug)

• :bulb: Enemies no longer attack (via automatic firing mechanism only) while outside the screen (@Baron :medal_sports: Idea)

• :bulb: “Giant Robotic Space Crab v2.0” boss: Increased range of forcefield attack (@GoldenUndrowler @Sammarald)

• :bulb: Fleet screen: Spacecraft preview is now constrained in a square (prevents long Ghost Tails from overwriting text below) (@iIfireIi :medal_sports: Idea)

• :new: Galactic Store: Added “Power Preserver” perishable (@PlasmaX @QuackQuack :medal_sports: Idea)

• :bulb: Squadron Assignments are no longer eligible to enter mission leaderboards.

• :bulb: Unnamed squadrons no longer appear in the list when assigning a mission (@ChickenGaming :medal_sports: Idea)

• :bulb: Multiplayer: Host now remembers and can kick most recently disconnected player even after they have left the game.

• :new: Galactic Store: Added “Picardy Bird” music track.

• :bulb: “The Yolk-Star” boss: Prevented enemies from spawning too close to the boss. Enemies now ‘peek’ for a second before chasing the player (@ChickenGaming )

• :bulb: “It’s a bird! It’s a plane!” boss: Prevented repeatedly targetting the bottom half of the screen. (@OneWingLunarian)

• :gear: Reset all mission leaderboards.

• :bulb: Changed how “Weapon Virtuosity” works: Each additional weapon used during the mission has the potential to award up to +1% bonus (depending on how balanced usage is w.r.t. the most-used weapon). A quadratic falloff is applied in order to boost nearly-balanced usages. Non-competitive missions receive +3% for starting with Moron and +25% for using Moron exclusively. (@Stardrone @GoldenUndrowler :medal_sports: Idea)

• :bulb: “Paint spacecraft” screen: Spacecraft is now drawn underneath UI (long exhausts would previously overlap UI elements).

• :new: Galactic Store: Added “Aglow with Dust” new background.

• :bulb: “Anonymize player” now also hides coordinates on galaxy screen (@ordinary_ryxt :medal_sports: Idea)

• :bulb: “Twice Infinity” boss (variation appearing in “Chicken Multiplicity” and “Double Team” missions): Added ‘fiery’ attack. (@neonep @MaybeOrandzaIdk )

• :gear: Instrumented network traffic to debug multiplayer crashes (warning: results in increased bandwidth usage)

• :gear: Removed -2002test command-line paramater.

• :bug: “Boldly Goes Wherever it Pleases” boss: Dish laser attack is now skipped if boss is damaged during charging (“warning”) phase (would previously still attack even though warning effect had been deleted) (@Baron @SA-GoldenBoss128 @n0linho :medal_sports: Bug)

• :bulb: “Partner Acrobatics” wave: Added danger zone (@ChickenGaming)

• :bulb: “Spawner Spinner” wave: Zoomed out camera 10% (@ScarletCuboids @Tin)

• :bulb: Space Race: Stage transitions are now shorter (same as if “Pro Gamer mode” were enabled) (@ShadowMoon :medal_sports: Idea)

• :bug: Zoom is now fast when planning a trip/itinerary if “Smooth galaxy zoom” is unchecked (@neonep :medal_sports: Bug)

• :bug: Online status is now properly reset whenever game crashes (@ArtemBexline211085 :medal_sports: Bug)

• :bulb: First callsign change is now free (@ChickenGaming :medal_sports: Idea)

• :bulb: First squadron name change is now free (@Bandicoot :medal_sports: Idea)

• :new: Profile screen: Added “Quests” (experimental) (@Skiller_Legendary @OneWingLunarian :medal_sports: Idea)

• :gear: Changed percentage (%) formatting (now it truncates rather than rounds)

v.119.2 EMERGENCY PATCH (SERVER-SIDE ONLY)

• :bug: Quests: Fixed excessive number of keys being awarded when a rank is achieved (@Sammarald :medal_sports: Bug)

v.119.3 EMERGENCY PATCH (SERVER-SIDE ONLY)

• :bug: Quests now actually award keys for attaining a milestone (@MoonKnight :medal_sports: Bug)
  • :bug: Quests: Goals “Orbit planets”, “Visit star systems”, and “Visit constellations” are properly accounted for when deciding whether quest has been completed (@SA-GoldenBoss128 :medal_sports: Bug)
  • :bulb: Quests: “Earn medals” goal: Reduced requirements for various medals. (@Sammarald :medal_sports: Idea)

v.119.4 EMERGENCY PATCH (SERVER-SIDE ONLY)

• :bulb: Quests: “Fly mission difficulty” goal: Skills are now also taken into account (@QuackQuack :medal_sports: Idea)
  • :bug: Quests: “Visit star systems” goal is no longer blocked by “Orbit planets” goal history (@OneWingLunarian :medal_sports: Bug)
  • :bug: Quests: “Flight time” goal: Fixed rounding issue that would cause the goal to be incomplete even though display would show 100% completion (@Sammarald :medal_sports: Bug)

v119.5 EMERGENCY PATCH (server-side)

• :bulb: Quests: “Earned medals” goal: Reduced requirements for stage-based medals (@OneWingLunarian :medal_sports: Idea)

v119.6 EMERGENCY PATCH (server-side)

• :bulb: Quests: “Fly cup missions” and “Fly league missions” goals will now accept any competitive mission. In v.120, “Fly cup missions” will be renamed to “Fly competitive missions” and “Fly league missions” will be removed entirely. (@OneWingLunarian :medal_sports: Idea)

v119.7 EMERGENCY PATCH (server-side)

• :bulb: Quests: Removed generation of “Fly league missions” goal.
  • :bug: Quests: Environment of “Fly environmental missions” is now truly random (was previously only electric).

v119.8 EMERGENCY PATCH (server-side)

• :bulb: Quests: “Orbit planets” and “Fly environmental missions” goals are toned down depending on how rare the planet/environment is (@Baron :medal_sports: Idea)
  • :bug: Quests: Fixed reshuffling of goals due to “Use weapon” goal being incorrectly deleted.
  • :bulb: Quests: Halved requirements for “Visit star systems” and “Visit constellations” goals.
28 Likes

First

iA, you were kidding about exiting early access on v120… right?

2 Likes

Finally! v119, here I come!

Also, does CIU take more resources now? I feel it’s getting slightly slower.

Right

I don’t think so… when exactly is it getting slower? Are you viewing a background that’s colorized by darkness/frost/hot/droids? That might be slower, depending on your graphics card.

8 Likes

No. I didn’t get to that point, however, when I switch around in menus and do some stuff, I feel like it takes longer to respond, and I believe it’s taking a bit more cpu. (I have an integrated GPU.)

Was the system of rendering any background, even ones in the map changed?
Not only when coloring.

I’ll go through the changelog, but I don’t think any changes would result in higher CPU usage, especially not the galaxy

No, just the method of colorization for those cases I mentioned (darkness/frost/hot/droids)

6 Likes

I will remind you about this.

1 Like

I haven’t got an opportunity to experiment this type of quest yet, but have you checked if it demand a spacecraft you don’t have yet? Would it be a problem?

Are they the same for every players and pre-determined? I see the current first quests matching your spoiler.

And, since you have the mechanism of quests now, have you thought of adding daily quests? This has been suggested before, I don’t remember whose.

Since most of the quest types are doing something for a specific number / amount, have you thought of adding set of quests about mobilizing to some specific place? For example: “The Henpire is developing very fast in the [name of constellation, star system, planet or something…], UHF decided to perform a massive attack against them. However, mobilizing recruits there would cost an amount of valueable fuel, you will be rewarded later for completing the tasks”. Then, if you accept, you will be taken to the galaxy map and confirm to fly there. This may encourage players to explore the galaxy.

Can you add some kind of notifications to keep track on the quests during missions? For example, I have the quest “collect 10 gifts”, can I receive a notification “collect 10 gift (1/10)” if I collected a gift? This can be problematic with quests like “fly 100 waves” or “kill 1000 enemies”, I think the notifications should be timed on somewhen suitable, such as stage transition or mission complete. As least I think I should be informed if I finished a quest.

1 Like

Woo, quest.

2 Likes

It was, the main reason of the joke is IA not understanding what the hell is people modding lmao.

1 Like

Should we have an option to turn off background recoloring?

Also regarding the quest ranks, Can we renmae “Supreme Admiral of UHF” To “Legend of the UHF”?

eh, nah. It’s based on navy stuff

1 Like

Navy?

Sea Military, basically.

There’s a typo in “Use the specified spacecraft” (though I guess a spaceraft would be better for the UHF’s budget…)

1 Like

I know it means, but Champion is based on navy?, also CIU is space, not sea.

1 Like

Random Idea:
Icon with a message about the completed daily mission.
Daily_mission_complete
Probably not needed, although in many games it is. :neutral_face:

11 Likes