This post will cover three weapons - one new one, and my first two ideas - redesigned visually and rebalanced in an attempt to better make them fit changes made in @1galbatorix1’s WBP.
#1 - Pulse Cannon (Version 2)
Weapon type: Heavy cannon, explosive
Weapon group: Nuclear
The Pulse Cannon fires a fast, accelerating projectile that deals a huge amount of damage on impact and generates an explosion that can destroy weaker enemies and heavily damage stronger ones. While it deals a lot of damage, it has a very slow rate of fire of 1 shot per second, forcing the player to aim more carefully to avoid missing a shot. The explosion, while powerful, covers a good portion of the screen and doesn’t destroy enemy projectiles. When used against feathers, the feather struck by the projectile will be destroyed, while the others will be pushed away by the explosion.
On 0-10 the projectile’s size doesn’t change, instead only the speed and/or acceleration of the projectile is increased, which in turn increases the damage. On 20 the projectile’s size increases and it’s hue becomes more reddish, while the speed stays the same as on 10.
- Extremely high damage per shot, which in some cases can even be enough to one-shot mini-bosses.
- AoE allowing the weapon to damage/destroy multiple enemies with one shot.
- The projectile is very fast, which makes it easier to aim at moving targets in zoomed-out waves.
- Very slow rate of fire with no spread requires the player to aim more carefully.
- High overheat rate of about 7 seconds causes the weapon to have a very low max damage before overheating (on top of the already low base DPS), possibly leaving the player vulnerable during bossfights.
- The explosion doesn’t destroy projectiles and covers up a part of the screen, potentially blinding the player for a brief moment.
The Pulse Cannon on 0-10 (left) and 20 (right)
The explosion effect on 20
#2 - Krypton Phaser (Version 3)
Weapon type: Automatic cannon
Weapon group: Hot
The Krypton Phaser is a plasma-based autocannon which fires bolts of ionized krypton. It can be considered as a heavy relative of Boron Railgun, Vulcan Chaingun and Hypergun. The individual bolts pack quite a punch and make up high-damaging volleys at higher levels, however the weapon has a rather slow rate of fire (2-4 shots per second depending on the power level). The weapon is designed to be used in automatic mode, and so manual fire isn’t very effective.
- High damage per volley compared to other weapons.
- A fairly low overheat rate of about 13 seconds gives it a pretty decent max damage before overheat.
- Fairly slow rate of fire.
- DPS rises quite slowly on low power, only picking up the pace around 9.
- Manual fire is less effective than automatic.
0 (left) and 10 (right)
As you can see, the weapon alternates between left and right weapon pods, giving it a more interesting firing pattern (similar to the bomber on odd power levels).
#3 - Stream Thingy (for lack of a better name)
Weapon type: Close-range non-homing stream generator
Weapon group: Stream
I first mentioned the idea of a close-range weapon in my Kinda vague weapon proposals post, specifically when I mentioned the Zapper from Raze.
Stream Thingy generates a flame-like stream of particles, which has limited range and slowly follows the ship as it flies around (think of how a flame acts when you move a lighter around). The weapon is also virtually recoilless, meaning that the ship doesn’t rock back when firing. Stream Thingy deals more damage the closer the target is to the source of the stream (with a damage multiplier of up to x2), allowing the weapon to potentially exceed the DPS of any other weapon at the cost of requiring the player to come very close to the enemy.
- Very high damage output, especially at low power.
- A low overheat rate (around 13-15 seconds) gives the weapon a superb max damage before overheat.
- Severely limited range (again, especially at low power) requires the player to get very close to enemies.
Steam Thingy at 0 (left) and 20 (right)
All assets (sprites, etc.) can be viewed and downloaded here.