Early Access version 39

Idea: If we decorate our exhaust red/dark red/orange, drumsticks will become red herrings

In the Galactic Store, satellites are sorted by type:

But in the “Fleet” section, they are messy.
(Notice the cursor)
Should they be arranged as in the Galactic Store? (To avoid mistake)

5 Likes

Idea: Rare weapons
Pros:
• More damage
• Weapon can cause an effect
• More upgrade levels
• More projectiles been shot when pressing the fire button
Cons:
• Heavier
• Requires more energy than a regular one
• Very rare

5 Likes

Actually it’s one of ideas I wanted to cover as a supplement to WBP project. Since this has been brought up, I will talk a bit about reasoning for that.

Currently heatsinks don’t provide anything except increased capacity. (This means that heat generation is slower, but so is the process of cooling down.) Sometimes it may even be a downside because of that. Switching from almost overheated Vulcan back to normal takes much longer on better heatsinks than on the basic one.

Making better heatsinks cool down faster on top of increased capacity could make a very cool gameplay change IMO and I don’t think it would break anything. (Unless there is something I don’t know about…) How do you think it could break weapons ? @anon27929001 @Kylo-Hen

Edit: We don’t even need to go that far. If we make better heatsinks cool down just as fast as the basic one, it would still be a noticable change. It would slightly lessen the amount of time you have to spend not firing, when equipped with better heatsinks.

12 Likes

I’d be on board for equalizing them, sure - but I think that making good heat sinks too effective might discourage use of weapons that get less (or no) benefit from cooldown (like Lightning Fryer and Corn Shotgun). It’s one of the reasons that weapons with fast overheats (unless it’s absurdly fast overheat) aren’t really an issue at the moment - pair your upgraded Cubic Boron with coolant canisters and then your Plasma Rifle is good to go.

8 Likes

Maybe you are right. With how weapons are right now it may not be the best thing to touch Heatsinks. First we have to deal with weapon balance itself anyways.

However, if WBP or something similar was a thing in game, this could be a great addition.
Vulcan Chaingun really shows that current heatsink mechanics don’t work ideally with heat-dependant weapons.

10 Likes

Yeah, I admittedly hadn’t considered it at all in my thoughts…

What if it wasn’t percentile based? Like, currently, vulcan spreads on a % heat basis, which is why it takes longer to cooldown with better sinks (even though they technically are cooling by the same internal “heat” value, I believe). But if it was rebalanced so that the current ratio remains true for the starter sink, and then anchored at one end, a better sink would allow for greater spread/longer focus fire time (depending on the end it’s anchored at), that could be cool.
I articulated that idea really badly so if it makes no sense let me know, lol

6 Likes

It makes sense IMO. It might work in game. The question is which end we anchor. I would definitelly choose extended time of firing straight, but it could be a topic for the debate.

IDK if this solution is worth it tho. It’s quite complicated and the Chaingun problem is not that big anyway.

7 Likes

How to completely ruin the game, myself, and literally everyone else who wants to grind keys:

• “Unoriginality penalty” is now also applied to key calculation.

Second, in Chicken Invasion missions, asteroids can still appear. I know this is because how it’s been since CI1, but now there are dedicated Asteroid Belts and Meteor Storm missions for that. I’d even go a step further and remove bosses from Chicken Invasions as well, as there exist specialized Boss Rush missions for that. Leave them in for challenges, Key Rushes or a “mixed” kind of mission where the next wave could be any wave from Chickens to Bosses to Retro to Comets to Droids etc.

6 Likes

Pleaſe tell me you’re joking.

8 Likes

(nooooo I’m poor how could you do this to me)

This is normal in CI1-3(except for CI4 and 5 though)
We don’t want a mission to be boring without other challenges

They are asteroid belts they only contain meteor storms

3 Likes

Heat sinks are really unbalance now, are they? Different types of heat sinks cools down at the same speed. I think better heat sinks should have a longer heat bar, and cools down faster too.

3 Likes

Well, my issue is that it would make a lot of weapons unable to overheat, or overheat extremely slowly. Maybe that is not such a huge deal now, but if your weapon rebalance ideas make it into the game, further reducing their cooldown times could easily break them.
That is if the better heatsinks would cool down daster than they do now…if the worse ones cooled down slower, instead, then weapons could become too weak.
Of course, that’s just a theory, it might not be true. Maybe this would go well with your ideas, I dunno.
And heat sinks as they are now might not seem that great, but they still change a lot. Utensil basically came back to how it was before its overheat rate nerf, for example.
PS. It’s worth noting that cooling down after overheating does go at the same rate, regardless of your heat sink.

7 Likes

Did you remove the new loading bar at the beggining? I dont see it anymore. Or you are gonna use it when the game gets out of early access?

2 Likes

Yeah. They turned it back to opportunistic load mode. It’s better than on-demand and worse than immediate. But it’s not a big difference and frankly I wonder why IA doesn’t just stick to immediate. Is 7 seconds of loading on the start that much?

3 Likes

My pc takes more than 7 seconds to load

1 Like

Well, I like the tradition having loading bar in every game so far.

Fixed in v.40
:medal_sports: Idea

8 Likes

With regards to the heatsinks: back when I was trying to come up with a mechanic for them, I experimented with the “all heatsinks have the same capacity, but better heatsinks cool down faster” idea.

There’s a constant battle between heat being dissipated constantly, and heat generated in bursts (impulse) by each weapon fire. Even very slight differences in the numbers can cause a weapon to never overheat, or overheat way too rapidly. Under certain circumstances, the frame rate can also affects the fire rate, which makes balancing even more of a nightmare.

Ultimately, I decided that the “cool down faster idea” wasn’t practical, and I chose the “larger heat capacity” mechanic (where a better heat sink just means that you can hold the fire button down for longer). It did create some issues with cooling (it appears that it cools down slower, whereas in fact it’s cooling at the same rate) so I had to fudge the “overheat” mechanic (so all heat sinks take the same amount of time to recover from overheating).

I think I will experiment with (@Boggy’s idea ( Early Access version 35 - #92 by InterAction_studios ) see how it looks.

9 Likes

Decided to recall an idea of adding berserk chickens only waves.
Since the berserk breed is already implemented in the game and I still love the CI2 berserk waves, i don’t think it would be that hard to add new waves dedicated to them (or maybe not… what do i know?)
We seldom see them during the gameplay (assassins too) so… Why not?

6 Likes