A few questions about the future of the franchise

One question that I forgot to add:

If you continue developing Episodes after CIU, will the community ideas like weapons and enemies be ported over or will they remain confined to Universe?

3 Likes

If we’re optimists, we can know for sure these changes will be ported. And, to be honest, I don’t see why not.

1 Like

If it fits into the new episode’s design, it will be ported. Weapons are the simplest to port, enemies also pretty easy, but there might not be a place for some things (for example, new spacecraft designs in the case where the new episode does not support changing your spacecraft)

7 Likes

Maybe this question is not relatable to this topic, but I also had it in my mind for a long time. I was too afraid to ask back then.
Have you even been thinking about creating a new game franchise (Not a CI game, a completely different, new game, franchise)? or you were focused on developing Chicken Invaders games? I’d be nice to see a new game, in my opinion.

Yes, but it’s not practically possible for several reasons:

• CIU is already taking up all of my time (and then some)
  • New IP is very risky. You could spend months developing something that will not even pay back its development costs cough Smileyville cough. Even the most successful non-CI game (Piggly) is not sufficiently successful to live on.
  • Right before CIU there was in fact a new IP game under development, which got cancelled after a year because it was too ambitious for one person. CIU is also too ambitious, but the reason it’s even feasible is because it builds on the foundations laid by CI3/4/5.
10 Likes

Not to mention that there already have a large fanbase who will be eager to buy the licenses for it.

Though if you feel like making another CI canon game,I would suggest a prequel for Hen Solo’s adventures.I feel that since CI4,there is scope for an extended universe.

Please no. Can we already stop with references and easter eggs to other stuff. No wonder people still see Chicken Invaders as a parody. I mean, every part has references or easter eggs that are part of the main story. It’s not how that should work. I hope that another CI game is 100% original.

2 Likes

No I wasn’t talking about Piggly and Island Wars,I was talking about Hen Solo,because he’s really obscure.Maybe the Hen Solo game may be what the series needs,because that story would have a more serious tone.

Thats the problem. The reference is Star wars, not piggly or island wars.

1 Like

Yeah, where did I even mention Piggly or Island Wars?

An original story was what I had in mind.
And maybe Hen Solo doesn’t have to be his real name.
And the ship could well be modified, because, y’know, copyright.
And plus,maybe it’s time for the game to stop with the references and tell an original story.

Well isn’t this exactly what I wrote 5 hours ago.

But aren’t Easter eggs an indicator of how well you know other relevant franchises and a way to stay in touch with other cultures? And… literally no one sees Chicken Invaders as a parody, except people who haven’t tried the game and immediately jump to conclusions. As far as I know, everyone who had low expectations was nicely surprised to learn that Chicken Invaders is an entertaining franchise.

I agree. If the reference was already made, then let’s at least not leave Hen Solo behind and actually give him some sorta character arc.

I think that’s up to IA to decide, I don’t know such a rule for story writing. There’s nothing wrong with a few healthy Easter eggs.

That won’t be necessary. And it can’t be done at this point because we had Hen Solo appear twice in the series - once in CI4 and then he made a cameo in CI5.

But it is telling an original story, you don’t see chicken invasions everywhere, except if you look up Chicken Invaders bootlegs.
Speaking of which, I think IA filed a complaint and took some of them down.

3 Likes

Yeah, no one. Not a single soul.

Well, there’s me. I tried all games and I think it’s a parody.

See the criticism of Ready Player One. Large amount of people agree that too many references are a bad thing.

Few and hidden no, but here in Chicken Invaders the references are being thrown in your face all the time. I think that CI5 is the best example of that.

Have you heard of updates and something called reboot?

It’s more like the foundation of a story. Because so far we had only 3 stories: CI3 - Yolk Star revenge (simplest and most enjoyable for me), CI4 - Universe saving travel (it was also very entertaining and expanding the universe), and CI5 with the artifact of nonsense (this story is the worst and).

There’s a pretty good parody game called DLC Quest. You see it is literally made of references. Everything in it is a parody, but the thing is they made it very clear that it’s just that. And it was only a 1 time thing, but Chicken Invaders is now 20 years old. and has ~6 games. Don’t you agree that it’s enough?

2 Likes

So while I agree with everything else, there are three things I’d like to say:

No need for sarcasm. Showing this screenshot was enough, your comment felt more like a personal attack rather than an argument.

I must have misunderstood you, sorry for that. Some people like to use the term “parody” as an insult rather than a “heavy use of humor” like this Wikipedia article you took a screenshot of says.

Once again, the point of replying is to convince, not to confront.

Now, it’s too late to make updates, but a reboot? Sure, if IA has the time and energy to do that, and if it makes sense (plot-wise). Let’s not forget he works on games mostly by himself, and he’s tried hiring helpers before, but he didn’t like the way they did their job. Check this out for more information.

3 Likes

Sorry, if I discuss something for too long I tend to get pretty irritating and I lose my patience. That’s why I want to end it quickly and precisely.

What? Where do you people come up with this? Games that are 20 years are being updated from time to time. And I know that IA has the source code of CI2 to CI5 because he said that they all will eventually get borderless window update - Early Access version 29 - #37 by InterAction_studios
Heck even Big Developers do it. VALVE CHANGED PORTAL ENDING 3 YEARS AFTER RELEASE. They changed the ending! It was something that changed the story and we’re talking about changing a name and spaceship look which will not change the story.
(there’s also star wars which had too much changes cough Greedo cough so it’s best to not overdo it)

Plot-wise it can’t be worse than CI5 so it’s already somewhat easier. He just needs to go back to CI3 and CI4 and look back at the universe that was built with them. Like if it must be about the so-called-now Hen then it would be good to show the first meeting with space crab.

Ok, I get it. It’s not easy to make games alone. But it can’t be the argument to everything.

And this fact alone tells much about IA. Because the games are really well made from technical point of view. If there was an interesting story (which would be a hard task since you literally must think of something that involves chickens invading the space) or something fresh with the shmup gameplay ([spoiler]yes it’s hard, but look at the Monolith (Star of Providence on Steam) maybe the games could have gain some attention from more passionate gamers (and maybe game journalists?). But we won’t get anything if we won’t experiment with existing stuff and stopping the changes because it break the traditions. Plenty of you agree that Early Access is perfect for trying new things and tinkering with existing ones so maybe we can all come up with something fresh for this series. Something 100% original.

3 Likes

This is probably a stupid question, but I’m going to drop it anyway: @InterAction_studios, are you still considering suggestions from fans, regarding weapons and bosses or any “core” part of the game? I’m asking because the “To-do” list seems very large.

1 Like

Suggestions are still welcome, however as you point out there’s a huge backlog of work, which means there’s no guarantee if/when I’ll be able to get to a particular suggestion :frowning:

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.