Steam Proton and game crashes

Hi there!

Over 40 hours of playing CIU on Linux with Proton, I’ve had a few completely random crashes. No error message, no alert window, no freeze, just the game window closing suddenly in the middle of a wave. Very few and far between, with no rhyme nor reason, no pattern to them.

I just had one a couple hours ago for which I managed to get the Proton logs (over here on Pastebin). I searched through the forum but couldn’t find any similar situation, so hopefully this can help if you can make sense of it.

Clucks very much! :chicken:

I had a look and your crashes are originating in the sound library (BASS.dll). Since I don’t get any similar crashes from Windows players, I would assume that this is a Proton emulation bug. I haven’t written the sound library, so I can’t really tell you any more than that – sorry :frowning: .

2 Likes

What library is it? It’s like SBDSP?

Thanks, that’ll be a useful starting point for me! And if it’s only on my end, then it’s really not a problem — it’s so rare that I can live with a few crashes if I don’t find a fix myself. I’m glad it’s working at all :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Seems to be this library, right?

1 Like

Correct. You could try replacing the BASS.dll the game is using (which is v.2.4.14.21) with a newer version from that website (I see the current one is v2.4.16.3). I wouldn’t hold much hope, but you never know.

2 Likes

Or you can just use Wine. I use it and it works.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.