šŸŒ Internet & network status

In the past few days, a lot of people have been complaining about slow logins, disconnections, time-outs, etc. I have been able to replicate this at my end as well.

Here are a few things to keep in mind about this:

• The internet has indeed become slower overall, due to more people using it over the last few weeks. This is outside of the gameā€™s control.

• Some areas of the world have poor internet connectivity, and those areas are impacted the most when network performance deteriorates. This is also outside the gameā€™s control.

• The game serverā€™s network usage is very low and well within limits, however it is also hosted on a plan that (I suspect, but I canā€™t be certain) is being de-prioritized whenever there is heavy traffic elsewhere. This might (potentially) be fixed by upgrading to a more expensive hosting plan, but I canā€™t justify that yet since the game is not generating any money (and already incurring monthly forum, cloud, database, and bandwidth costs).

• In attempt to alleviate some of these problems, the gameā€™s time-out limit has been extended to 60 seconds, and the upcoming v.39 has a new login loading bar that provides better indication of progress during very slow logins (specifically, it should avoid cases where the bar loads fully and then hangs at 100% for long periods of time). But, itā€™s unavoidable that youā€™ll be disconnected eventually if your network connection is broken.

• Changing the game so that it doesnā€™t require network connectivity (off-line play) is simply not possible. Networking is fundamental to the architecture. Huge parts of the game would have to be scrapped and rebuilt, and this is not something I have the time (or desire) to do.

• As a related reminder, the game is not performing any kind of network filtering. All connections are accepted. If you have problems accessing it from certain countries, then something outside the gameā€™s control is blocking the traffic (your firewall, router, ISP, government). It could also be a temporary international network fault. Again, this is outside of the gameā€™s control.

In summary, it sucks, but it canā€™t be helped. Be patient and wait for better days.

30 Likes

I recommend that you use a site such as Patreon or Kickstarter as well. CI fans could donate money towards the funding of CIU, solving the ā€˜not generating moneyā€™ problem. You could also provide some sort of in-game or in-forum accesory to backers!

7 Likes

Do you think port forwarding the game server would be able to improve anything?

Port forwarding helps computers from the ā€˜outsideā€™ access your PC on the ā€˜insideā€™ of your firewall.

The connection to the game server is outbound, so I donā€™t think port forwarding will help.

6 Likes

It will be many days of waiting for CI6.

What would be the potential rewards?

1 Like

Potienal rewards: money

Iā€™m talking about rewards for people that will donate to IA.

Shoutout?

They could get special badges for donating. Other rewards could include special paintjobs, shoutouts (as PMVN said) etc.

1 Like

Medal awarded: Countributor: Thank you for helping us!
They should appear on credits too

1 Like

Rewards: design your own :chicken/boss/weapon/wave/spacecraft

Nop, it will just like Early Access when they make ideas. Gifting them Chicken Hunter License?

But right now i cant connect :slightly_smiling_face:

My Internet its to bad in all forms

My first floor router canā€™t login to CIU but my second one can?? Although my second router has a weaker signal strength?

Did it say No internet

No, it doesnā€™t

Did you reconnect to 1st router to test with the game again

Yes, I did

Did it fail

Yes, it failed