Early Access version 49

it is a negative number

3 Likes

The negative numbers increase with - not +, only the positive increases with +

1 Like

Fixed in v.50 :medal_sports: Bug

Fixed in v.50 :medal_sports: Bug

3 Likes

It’s borderline, but I consider it cheating. You are externally modifying the rules of the game (in the same way that using an aimbot would).

The server logs instances of autoclickers, it just doesn’t do anything about them (yet). Detecting them is always going to be an uphill battle, so I’m currently leaning towards nullifying their benefit by removing the whole manual/auto fire mechanic and replacing it with an “overdrive” mechanic. Manual/auto makes weapon balancing practically impossible (because you have to assume that maximum manual rates are used constantly)

Overdrive: If you simply hold the button down, you’ll fire at the usual rate (which will be set to the largest of the current manual and auto rates). While you click manually (even at a very slow rate of 3-4 clicks/second), you gain a fixed (independent of your click rate) bonus to your firing rate (say, +25%). That’s all. The heating rate remains the same, which means you overheat faster. You’ll still eventually have to stop after the same total damage (destruction), but you’ll have a choice of condensing more firepower during certain periods.

It’s a far-reaching change and I’ve yet to work out all the details, however.

20 Likes

That’s good. It encourages people to play with the rules instead of rely on a program to reach clicking speeds that are beyond human.

2 Likes

Wait, I thought I reported it first?

4 Likes

Is this “fixed” as in the ſame for each weapon? That’ll require a complete rework of certain weapons (ions ſpring to mind).

Given that moſt weapons are capped at 6,5 ſhots per ſecond and many players (or ſo I gather) are perfectly capable of clicking that faſt, I don’t really ſee the iſſue.
Although, I’ve never really underſtood why people would uſe an autoclicker as it ſeems like a way to reduce control. But then I’ve never ſeen one, ſo I don’t know what kind of UI they generally have.

1 Like

Power consumption is always negative. As you upgrade the weapon, more and more power is needed, so you get more and more negative.

4 Likes

I meant in the past. 20/s riddler.

1 Like

Sorry, fixed.

Not sure. Could be constant, could be dependent on the weapon. I don’t think it matters particularly.

What would need to happen before this boost is applied, however, is to reduce all of the weapons’ rate of fire (so boosting it would still keep it within reasonable bounds). Say, maybe reduce them to half-way between their current manual and auto values. The projectile damage and/or enemy health would be adjusted accordingly so there would be no perceivable gameplay change (just less projectiles on-screen, which actually has the side-benefit of improving game performance as well).

But that’s “phase 2”. First, manual firing will be removed altogether and rates will be set to their current maximum possible.

9 Likes

What about lightning, plaſma, and poſitron? How will clicking effect thoſe?

How is this a valid argument? Absence/existence of a feature is not a guarantee of its continued absence/existence. We didn’t have charging, splitting, chaining, heat-dependent damage, or area-of-effect in CI4. But we do now.

I don’t have any intention of changing the power levels of existing weapons. But I reserve the right to do so for any future weapon, that’s all I’m saying.

4 Likes

Eh, that’s kinda fair. New weapons don’t exactly need to follow that rule. At least there’s about 5 weapons that exist which are already “somewhat” tailored for competitive use.

At least new weapons can be somewhat more interesting and creative if they don’t exactly follow the same rules as the existing weapons.

(Plasma, Neutron, Utensil, Positron and Corn)

1 Like

Not really an argument, more of a question. I was simply curious.

Same. It would increase their firing rate (even though the beams look continuous, there’s still a periodic firing rate which controls how often damage is applied).

There’s an open issue with the Plasma, because there’s a benefit to manual firing (or, better put, individual firing) which I’d like to preserve without it being overridden by the overdrive mechanic*. So maybe overdrive will only be present in certain weapons rather than all of them.

* In fact, one of my main stumbling blocks currently is how to “disambiguate” overdrive from several individual clicks which occur close together.

2 Likes

Oh, and by the way: Suggest changes and ideas for casual players here! - #13 by OneWingLunarian

Just so you won’t miss it.

I don’t know. I guess because you can’t anticipate, schedule, or force ideas and inspiration. They come of their own accord.

Regardless, the game must evolve with the times.

There was a time when the game was keyboard-only, because that’s how it was done back then.

At some point, mouse control had to be introduced, because everyone else used mouse control. But it still was still mapped to keyboard keys (to make playing by either keyboard or mouse “fair”). As more and more players started using the mouse, that had to be eventually dropped (leading to the lopsidedness between keyboard/mouse control to this day).

It also used to be the case that you had to click for individual shots (you couldn’t just hold the fire button down). That also went out the window at some point because progress. I tried to hold on to that by providing a benefit to manual firing. And now we’re looking at doing away with manual firing completely.

These ideas were a product of their time. And, sadly, their time has come and gone. Part of me considers them very fundamental to the game (and would like to keep them that way), but if the game is going to survive another 20 years, I also need to be consciously evolving the mechanics, re-examining decisions, and questioning assumptions made under different circumstances.

12 Likes

By the way, how much do the rarities reduce the ship hitboxes by?

i remember when i had to play chicken invaders 1 with keyboard only it was fun. but in ci2 mouse control was introduced if i remember correctly?

-2px radius (so -4px, if you’re working with diameters) per rarity level.

9 Likes