Early Access version 124

MAIN CHANGES

Party like it’s 2002! “Chicken Invaders: The Next Wave” (a.k.a. Chicken Invaders 2) was released on 22 December 2002.To commemorate the 20th anniversary of that occasion, CIU supports a special mode which simulates an (approximately) authentic 2002 experience: graphics have been reduced in color and resolution, music has been replaced with era-appropriate tracks, and certain special effects have been disabled.

CIU v.124 always starts off in this mode, but it can be disabled through the main menu (you must restart the game to enable it again). Also, for technical reasons, this mode is not available on Android.

Admittedly, this mode comes a bit earlier than expected, because there are three main events in December and unfortunately they all come very close together:

• “Chicken Invaders Universe” leaving Early Access on December 15th
  • “Chicken Invaders: The Next Wave” 20th anniversary on December 22nd
  • Christmas Edition on December 25th

Some of these events clash together (e.g. music replacements from 20th anniversary and Christmas), so I’ve decided to spread them out a bit so that they don’t overlap. Starting with the next version, 2002 party mode will still be available, but it will not be the default startup mode (because not everyone is familiar with Chicken Invaders history, and it would not be appropriate to leave Early Access with 20-year-old look as default).

Finally, this version re-enables cross-platform multiplayer (Windows vs Android), which had been temporarily disabled until a crashing bug could be fixed. This was one of the most elusive bugs and it took almost two weeks to track down, because… compilers.

Bug/Idea medals will be awarded later in the day. Note that your medal cannot be awarded if your in-game callsign doesn’t match your forum name (put it in your forum profile where it says “name” so I can find it).

COMPATIBILITY

You will lose:

• any mid-mission progress
  • your language selection

CHANGELOG

:new: New features – :bulb: Tweaks – :bug: Bug fixes – :gear: Internal changes

• :gear: Deleted users who haven’t logged in during the past week and have less than 10 minutes of playtime, and also users who haven’t logged in during the past 4 weeks and have less than an hour of playtime, and also users who haven’t logged in during the last 12 months and haven’t set an e-mail. Note that users with any purchase are never deleted.

• :bug: Egg shells now make cracking sound when destroyed even in low detail mode (@minasam123 :medal_sports: Bug)

• :bug: Thanksgiving edition: fixed “leg” texture of UFO saucer chick (@neonep :medal_sports: Bug)

• :bulb: Projectile disappearance effects when hit by weapons are now hidden in low-detail mode (@minasam123 :medal_sports: Idea)

• :bulb: Contacts screen: Added padding between platform and online icons (@iIfireIi :medal_sports: Idea)

• :bug: “High-contrast text” option now affects Key Rush missions properly (@CattyCheese :medal_sports: Bug)

• :gear: Multiplayer: Fixed network desync crashes in games between Windows and Android players (caused by MSVC/Clang discrepancies compiling C++11’s “unspecified evaluation order of subexpressions”, throwing the randomizer out of sync).

• :gear: Changed network RNG algorithm (this change only affects some boss trajectories and attacks. Mission/wave/enemy selection is unaffected).

• :gear: Removed Thanksgiving Edition content.

• :bug: Multiplayer scoreboard: Platform icon is now refreshed correctly if host disconnects and reconnects from a different platform (@GoldenUndrowler :medal_sports: Bug)

• :bug: League: Fixed boss waves being illegible in the dare alternatives (once and for all) (@PlasmaX :medal_sports: Bug)

• :new: Added “Party Like It’s 2002” Edition.

• :gear: Android: Updated BASS to test version 20221125, which fixes rare crashes when fading/panning sound channels.

• :bulb: Competitive missions now also use repeatable RNG for speed & direction of food/key/coin drops @Recruit_75 :medal_sports: Idea)

• :bug: Android: Can now chat while the game is paused (@LaserLite :medal_sports: Bug)

• :bug: Removed mouse/keyboard references from “manual activation equipment” (@RainbowBoyVN :medal_sports: Bug)

• :bulb: Shockwave Capacitor: Bullets are now removed as the shockwave front expands instead of being removed only when shockwave spawns (@AmirMohammad.as :medal_sports: Idea)

• :bulb: Clucker Bombs no longer cause area damage when fired inside an enemy (impact damage remains) (@Sammarald :medal_sports: Idea)

33 Likes

Not a nitpick, but one of the stage transitions bits is pretty long, long enough that it “conflicts” with the theme when starting the next stage.

On the upside, the chiptune music when starting the game is a instant classic.

2 Likes

Explain button:

2 Likes

report bug momento

I suppose in “pro-gamer” mode it would be. Will look into it.

Fixed in v.125 :medal_sports: Bug

9 Likes

Also this?

Dark beyblade lmao

10 Likes

Suggestion: Make the satelite/primary fire/special weapon (and even pause?) disappear when the spacecraft is near it like the scoreboard or the timer bar

(in this case i’m hiding at the special weapon button)

1 Like

Quick info: If you still have the “-2002test” command entered in the Steam game launcher, the 2002 mode will boot up when you open the game.

1 Like

Tell me you don’t read patch notes without telling me you don’t read patch notes

It turns out that special mode is not available to me at all? Because I can only play the mobile version due to the fact that I simply don’t have a computer in principle

set fps to 30 for extra 2002

1 Like

read the patch notes

1 Like

Obligatory welcome back reply.

1 Like

Can you make them to ??? when the someone play retro invasion?

3 Likes

oh hey was it on purpose you didnt give me bug extarminator?

1 Like

These “borderline” just pop up on my screen. Is this intentional?

This doesn’t reference any keyboard/mouse controls.

Will consider it.

They are visible to the host before they fly the mission, so it’s not a problem if joining players see them too

There is already a callsign “LaserLite” in the game. Is that not your account?

Update: I’ve awarded it to “TidePopper” now. Log out/in to receive it.

I have no idea what this border is… it seems to be rounded on the left side but not the right? What? :eyes:

9 Likes

@InterAction_studios
Capture
for some reason i met this ( in 2002 Edition )
Where’s the rocket icon?

5 Likes

Yes laser lite is my account but its my old one.