🐔 Chicken Invaders 1 Remastered #11

I just played this version of CI1, and it’s very awesome! I wonder, any plans for a installer version? (Since I mainly prefer installing the game, then open it, rather than opening it directly from a ZIP file)

1 Like

how you will earn an extra life?? no extra live is awarded… at 1000000

Because the first game is stylized to be arcade-like. Focusing on scores with only limited amount of lives.

1 Like

Once you end up in the screen where you type your name, you can’t really use the keyboard to write because the game forces you to type with the mouse, that’s like that if you’ve been playing with mouse, else, if you’ve been playing with the keyboard you can’t use the mouse to type.

Not a big deal at all but i thought it had to be mentioned.

Also why CI1 development threads are marked as #ciu-development…?

1 Like

this is a remaster not a remake

1 Like

Actually the other games do have it. It’s necessary whenever your spacecraft doesn’t follow the mouse instantly.

Already fixed above.

Both will be available in the same download.

This is only a beta. The final build will come in an installer.

Strangely, although there is code to award extra lives, it seems it was never used. For faithfulness reasons, I can’t add it to the remaster.

Known, but I couldn’t easily switch between input methods while on this screen. And, generally speaking, you can’t use the keyboard to directly type because there might be two players entering their name simultaneously.

4 Likes

v0.2 BETA: :arrow_down: https://universe.chickeninvaders.com/files/CI1-BETA-v0.2.zip

Changelog:

• Cheated scores are no longer inserted in the high score table
  • Lives print out as “x4”, “x5”, etc. when you have more than 3
  • Proper delay while “game over!” is displayed (was too short)
  • Can now move with mouse and fire with keyboard (you still have to click at the “press fire to start” screen so that the game knows you want to use the mouse, however)
  • Removed more unused resources
  • Centered spacecraft rendering
  • Applied proper lights to spacecraft rendering
  • Core now runs at 26.3 fps to match original (was previously 25 fps)
  • Fixed memory leak at “press fire to start” screen (caused by new text)
  • Mouse is now captured properly during mission.
  • Renamed “special weapon” to “missile”
  • Blue “network predictor”
22 Likes

So we are going to keep the modern space burger in the intro?
I think that if someone plays the remaster and decides then to buy CI2 the style difference would be too much, because they will see a “downgrade”.
The Space Burger from CI2 Remastered looks high quality and nostalgic enough, if it’s not too difficult I suggest using that sprite instead of the new one.

Nice to see a new update coming! It’s fun to mess around with in-game cheats but I noticed that this tiny little detail is missing in the remaster, to be specific:

it’s the wave, stage and system text on the HUD whenever cheats are enabled in the OG CI1.

Pressing F5 would cause a prompt that says what keys activate other cheats. Since F5 doesn’t do anything in the remaster I thought of this.
Is it possible to add the wave, stage and system info on that key bind instead and make it toggle? It can be useful if anyone wants to skip to wave 1000 or etc lol

5 Likes

I’m on the fence about this. If I change the burger, then the earth will look out of place. And if I change the earth, then the invading chickens will look out of place. It’s a slippery slope.

The wave number is already shown when the wave starts.

1 Like

Let’s see what people think:

Which intro elements should look exactly like the original CI1?
  • Player spacecraft only (as it is now)
  • Player spacecraft + Space Burger
  • Player spacecraft + Space Burger + Earth
  • Player spacecraft + Space Burger + Earth + Invading Chickens

0 voters

7 Likes

Can we have a look at how the old Earth would look like in the cutscene?

2 Likes

My main argument for the Space Burger is the consistency with CI2 and 3, where the look of the place evolves because of the passing of time.
I don’t think the CI2 version will look out of place, because architecture and design is supposed to change with time, while Earth always looks the same from space, so I don’t think it will be a problem.

Edit: there is also the fact that the Earth and Burger are not shown together on screen, while the spacecraft and burger are, and personally I think having the CI1 and 4 styles on screen at the same time is not the smoothest thing ever.

does the large white rectangle sign not look appealing enough

1 Like

It’s beautiful, but I think that the problem was the original resolution

At least I can easily change CI1 original strings

3 Likes

There is one feature that could get added to make this whole remaster worth making.
Save slot so you don’t have to kill yourself and start over from 0 every time.

7 Likes
  1. the starting screen, intro, credits,etc… run at the set fps, but the gameplay itself seems to always run at 10 FPS, tested in both high/low quality.
  2. i’m not sure if it’s intentional but gifts sometimes seem to drop Much faster than usual.

got a question: when you say “no anti cheat” you mean this thing where values are encrypted and i can’t use cheat engine to find values (cuz in CI 2 - 5 i literally can’t find the values of the health/score/powers/food etc… with cheat engine, there was one time where i searched the missiles value and i searched “all types” and i found many doubles/floats/ints that all correlate to the missiles value, and i tried messing with the values and i got HUGE amount of missiles,you are doing an amazing job at encrypting values what can i tell you)

cuz like i played the CI1 remaster and i can EASILY find all values, like everything is an int including the waves (that’s right i literally skipped to wave 10000 with CE lol) and no encryption, no anything

1 is intentional, the gameplay runs at 26.3 FPS, while the intro can run at any FPS target without altering the experience. Ideally the gameplay would be independent from FPS, but since it’s a remaster meant to simply make the game usable on modern systems, it’s not worth the work required to do so, so that part still works as in the original.