BC Media: Backup my Progress?

I need some help.

I’m about to purchase a new laptop (my current one’s screen got messed up), and I’ll need to move all my stuff to the new one. That included my progress on Universe.

I know there’s a way to back up my files, but how exactly do I do that?

6 Likes

It’s called Chicken Hunter license you need to pay to buy it, but I think it’ll be released when the game is completed, also you can send @InterAction_studios a private message and tell him to recover your data files if it gets lost, it worked with @anon48763505 well :wink:

1 Like

You copy your version folder(Ex: v.49 folder) at C:\ProgramData\InterAction studios\CIU into a USB stick or a DVD(if you have one). Then install CIU on your new PC, start the game and move your data back into C:\ProgramData\InterAction studios\CIU

10 Likes

How does iA intend to prevent this for free users post-EA?

1 Like

Most likely by storing user data on a cloud server instead of locally. However this would piss me off if I did lose progress on my free account cause I can’t purchase the CHL as I don’t have a credit card, and it’s not that I didn’t want to spend around 5 dollars for it, I can afford to contribute at least that much for iA, for he made my childhood awesome, it’s just that I lack the means of doing so…

2 Likes

Prepaid cards, maybe?

3 Likes

Prevent users from making backup?

1 Like

Well, the more we go down this rabbit hole, the clearer it seems to be that progress will have to be permanent for all players, regardless of license.

1 Like

Or a CD, or a Floppy Disk.

He should move the data before starting the game.

3 Likes

Or easiest way, just save it in cloud and be able to download if from everywhere as long as you’re connected to the internet. There is google drive, dropbox, mega, onedrive, etc.
For example I use mega to sync the local CIU folder to mega, so everytime a change is made, it will automatically save it to cloud.

3 Likes

I would use an USB (I used an USB to put my account from a Windows 10 to a Windows XP and then from Windows XP yo Linux [using Wine]).

1 Like

For your information, data is stored on their server right now. It’s too dangerous to keep it on user’s PC as some day it may be hacked. Your profile data only contains something like ID of the profile it needs to load from the server. Instead of login/password you use your save file. CHL will just make it possible to use login(e-mail)/password method to join the server even if you lose your save.

2 Likes

Oh, right. So a manual transfer will still be an option, then, but it obviously won’t work for things like mobile.

1 Like

So I just copy the entire CIU folder and replace the new one with it?

2 Likes

He actually meant transfer the current version folder (v49), not the entire CIU folder.

1 Like

Oh, so the folder labeled “49”?

2 Likes

Yeah, correct. this is the version folder. Transfer it to the new laptop and then the data is there.

2 Likes

I would copy the entire CIU folder (I did it).

Game will try to read the latest able anyway.

1 Like

Just follow the backup instructions provided at the end of each and every update post on this forum.

5 Likes