Uh Oh! This could be the start of 'Slangification' of CIU

I will again suggest a on/off censor option for bad words, because out right banning certain phrases can lead to complications. Sometimes you write something normal and the system could flag that as inappropiate because there’s something in the middle or something. If it will be on/off, then the worry for over-censor will be smaller.

8 Likes

Swearing ≠ ſlang.

1 Like

That’s fine for me. But there should be something done to counter swearing. I can’t imagine new kids seeing this guy’s username, especially in front of their parents who thought it was an innocent game.

1 Like

My bad.I edited the post now

1 Like

But this censor option would hide this and similar words. Maybe parents will be needed to be notified of this option.

there is also a person which has THAT word…

That’s the first mention of galbatorix supreme’s easy top 1 on the forum. Now I am on the road to the endless fame and infinite power!!!

Ok, seriously now. On/off censorship for bad words that Davoid proposed is probably the best way to get rid of this problem. Many games use similar chat filters, that can be turned off if player wants to do so. In most cases it works pretty well.

This is a known and complex issue (see Not allowing some names - #6 by InterAction_studios ). It must be tackled by a combination of blacklisting and user reporting.

The user in question has been warned, and the callsign has been reset. Basic word blacklisting has also been implemented. User reporting will have to wait for now.

:medal_sports: Idea

4 Likes

Someone also has a no-no word as their callsign, which starts with ‘n’.

Shouldn’t I (For bringing up the mechanic) or atleast @PenguinBOI get the medal for being the first to mention it? You linked to his topic…
Also I feel like a bad username has been mentioned before (Especially with isp claiming so too) on the forums, so someone could have been the original person even earlier.
EDIT: I did actually mention this early too.

EDIT EDIT: It could be argued that @PeriCore was the very first to mention chat moderation, though he was against it. So first or opposite-first?

1 Like

In my opinion, there should be a button for reporting players for bad callsigns when you click on players

1 Like

Yeah, I think I should get a medal too.

1 Like

Ps: my idea was censoring these names. You can found it by digging up the forum.

Yeah, I saw it.

1 Like

I really don’t deserve the medal. I only gave proof about offensive usernames. Maybe give the medal to Davoid for bringing up the solution.

1 Like
  1. Censorship is very hard, and it’s not a 100% solved problem. It hasn’t been fully solved before, and I highly doubt CIU is going to be the game to finally solve it.

2. Reporting of callsigns (and all user input, really) was planned from day 1. So censorship isn’t really anyone’s idea… but the particular mechanics through which it’s implemented might be.

3. Until recently I thought that a “report player” button would be sufficient (mainly because a word blacklist has soooo many problems), but @Recruit_75 's post made me realize that it wouldn’t work in certain cases: How do you report a player who isn’t near you in the galaxy, but can rather only see their name in a top-10 list? A series of “report” buttons next to each entry? Ugh. Hence the actual change of not allowing some callsigns altogether.

4. Reconsidered medals:
    @PenguinBOI :medal_sports: Idea (for mechanic of not allowing some callsigns)
    @Recruit_75, @isp: :medal_sports: Bug (for reporting inappropriate callsigns). This is borderline, so let’s hope it doesn’t get abused or it will be discontinued.

@Davoid: I only see your idea about manually activated censorship (which hasn’t been implemented yet).
@isp: “N” callsign has been warned.

7 Likes

I didn’t get the medal. My username is ChickenSlayer

1 Like

You will earn the medal after the next update got launched, just like every other player.

Oh! My bad then.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.