Before I begin explaining my ideas, there should be a feature that automatically turns low detailed mode to on/off depending on the situation, this feature can be disabled in settings in order to play with a specific mode.
If the player attempted to increase the details a popup will be displayed saying:
Increasing game details may decrease your game performance, this will make saving the world more difficult.
Do you still wish to proceed?
1. Low quality spacecraftsI just woke up after dreaming that lol, so it gave me inspiration.
- What if there are a lot of players in one scene?
For instance, a massive amount of players. Or even massive amount of players in one orbit; remember the Space burger party? Everyone’s FPS was reduced greatly.
Just because the massive amount of textures and particles coming of out engines. (The space burger was fine, however.)
So, what if the game would replace spacecraft textures with a very simple 1 sprite sample spacecraft. Something like this:
This can only appear if the amount of space crafts in the view decrease the fps, so if they decreased the game FPS to something below 30 FPS this effect will happen (if low detail mode is enabled)
This can also happen when zooming out too much until players are barely visible.
The real spacecraft will be revealed if you clicked it (becoming focused on it) or just zooming a lot to decrease the amount of spacecrafts on-screen.
Maybe the loaded players area should also decrease
For multiplayer, if spacecrafts were darkened to maximum via multiplayer settings, they should universally be a single black texture with the shape of the spacecraft, and its rotation, instead of normal dark spacecrafts’ layers.
If the FPS became lower than 30-60 low detail mode will automatically be turned on.
2. Do these if the computer doesn't meet CIU requirements:
- If the game started with a low amount of RAM, or generally poor computer specifications, low detailed and pro gamer modes will be enabled by default.
A popup can appear after IAS logo saying:
Your device doesn’t meet the game’s minimum specifications.
The details are reduced.
Similar to the low memory warning at startup; this wont be displayed if you started with low FPS, since most of players’ fps can greatly decrease while the game is loading.
Also, the game can switch resolutions to something lower, such as 1024*768
And if possible, the game can use earlier engines, such as DX9. If the computer doesn’t meet the requirements of course.
If the player later met the requirement everything will be back to normal. This includes freeing RAM while the game is running.
3. Customized details mode
- Instead of having either low/high details mode, you can choose what is low and what is high, something like this:
Smaller explosions: Yes
No particles: Yes
Fewer stars in the main menu: No
4. Warn players with poor computers...
- Warn players before entering a hard mission, since they can contain a massive amount of enemies that spawn a lot of objects on screen, such as armored chickens/chickenauts, phoenix, etc…
5. Low detailed planets, suns, etc...
- Orbits will not be animated, clouds wont move, effects (lightning) wont appear, corona wont appear. And wormholes will be as simple as CI4/CI5 black holes.
Most of these can be useful one more stuff gets added that are too epic, and when the game gets tons of new players.