On the subject of Absolver Beam rebalance

CI2 weapons went from :zap: 0-9 and :zap: 20, so it had 11 levels, then there’s also the difference of max power being at least twice as strong as mid power.

As for the power levels, iA has been already planning to have weapons with a different amount of power levels for a while

This is from a month before CIU’s release when I asked about why Boron has more

1 Like

Alſo, the point of having a variëty of weapons is that they behave well in different ſituätions, ſo I don’t ſee the iſſue there.

Even if your point were valid, I don’t ſee how you could rebalance the weapon in a way that reverſed what it did well without completely ſcrapping the deſign.

1 Like

Please read the original post thoroughly and reply again.

Which, yours, or the firſt poſt in the topic?

That indicates that you want to reverſe what it’s good at.
If you meant the firſt poſt in this topic,

• changing to conventional powerup levels,
  • ſplitting the damage among the effected parties,
  • increaſing the fire rate,
  • giving it better capability to handle feathers,
  • nerfing it’s obliterating powers,
  • making it 20% wider,
  • and giving it a complete viſuäl rework

does not ſtrike me as a “rebalance”, ſo much as a new weapon acting as a halfway houſe between abſolver and laſer cannon.

1 Like

Considering that this is literally how every other weapon in the game works, yup. That’s exactly what we want to do.
There is absolutely no reason why a primary weapon should perform the way Absolver does now.

Current Absolver simply does not belong in the primary weapon roster. It would fit in way better as a special weapon, considering that it’s basically a concentrated missile, anyway.

1 Like

I waſn’t around when it was creäted, but was this not brought up at the time?

I’ve heard that there are people who love it, and I would hate to ſee it loſe its unuſuäl character. As a compromiſe I think your halfway houſe ſhould be introduced, but abſolver ſhould ſtay the ſame.

Yes, the first one.

Okay. I’ll just be direct and clear. It’s a shit and highly situational weapon. It’s a shit weapon for challenges and even normal chicken invasions because its performance depends entirely on RNG (I.e. what waves you get). Big no-no. If Absolver Beam wants to be a primary weapon, it has to have its extremes smoothed. By quite a bit. And in my opinion that’s what the preposition is about.

About the first part of this quote, that makes no sense. By this logic Ion Blaster and Positron Stream are new weapons now. What keeps Absolver Beam “the same weapon” is:

1. The concept. A charging weapon.
  2. The sound effects. GgWw didn’t propose a change for them.
  3. The gift box color.

About the second part… no? Laser Cannon would basically be a super strong weapon at the cost of overheating quickly. Its range is removed to make it less tedious to use, too. I see no similarities between the suggested changes for Absolver and Laser Cannon. If you’re saying this because of GgWw’s example paint.net image… it was an example paint.net image and not an idea for the weapon itself. There are a few replies right under the first post that have other ideas.

3 Likes

I love how you manage to clarify in ſuch a ſingularly ambiguöus way. :smiley:

I believe that this is currently a topic of intenſe debate. I muſt admit that I myſelf am not particularly proficient in its uſe, although I was recently reading another thread in which ſome people argued that it was overpowered.

So if I take laſer cannon, turn it bright blue, give it more ſpread, make the innermoſt beam deliver ¼ of the damage of the outermoſt beams, make all the firepower levels have three beams, and make it power up on every level between :zap:0 and :zap: 40 except numbers in the Fibonacci ſequence and 29 ('cuz why not?), the weapon will ſtill effectively be the ſame?

1 Like

No but I guess you’d go to great lengths to write a sarcastic comeback that is ultimately not related to the current topic for the sake of appearing wittier than all other participants.

The post doesn’t propose such drastic changes. Further proves you didn’t read into it a lot.

Anyway, Imma go now, that was a lot of time wasted spent on a single thread.

1 Like

I feel like the thing that sets Absolver apart is the fact that:

• It’s a charged weapon, currently the only one, with low fire speed and crazy high damage at full charge
  • It’s the only weapon to have an unlimited piercing function
  • It’s the only weapon to destroy projectiles

These three things, fundamentally, shouldn’t change, I believe.

I don’t think that the 21lvl progression is as necessary of a distinction when you factor all of this in. I also don’t think it absolutely has to go, but I can see why it creates balancing issues. Removing it is kind of the easy way out, but it does fix some issues in all fairness.

I agree with this, and it’s a concern - but I don’t feel like that’s what’s happening here. I have almost as much playtime with absolver as I do utensil, and I feel confident in saying that it is almost, but not quite balanced. Other than some of the suggestions (like dmg splitting, which I happily pointed out) I think this is a good start. We’re in EA, it’s OK to try thing that don’t work.

I am one of said people - and I agree it needs some tweaks. I don’t want to see the core, fundamental idea of a slow-charge annihilation weapon changed, but it needs to be at least able to struggle it’s way through waves like “Caught by Surprise” without doubling your playtime for a session. I don’t think we’re talking about completely changing its performance - just making it less extreme in it’s current performance.

Precisely the issue. Some people think it’s too good, others think it’s not good enough. You could say that’s balance, but I think it just needs to be less extreme. The debate is a good indicator that it technically is balanced with the other weapons, but it’s not predictable. Making it predictable - so your not getting a vastly easier/harder experience depending on the wave, just small variation - is what it needs, and this needs to be done without killing off the three points I listed above.

While I completely disagree with the point here, this was quite funny and a good example, aha - thanks.

2 Likes

You obviously fail to understand the point of reworking Absolver Beam. All changes proposed by @GgWw1175 are there for a reasons that he explained in his original post. Disregarding those reasons and saying “uuuh, but like it, so you are wrong” brings absolutelly no value to the discussion.

Changing the number of power levels is mandatory for one simple reason: Bombers and their volley generation algorithm. It simply breaks on Absolver specifically, because of its unusual number of power levels. It has to be put in line with other weapons if we want a game that is at least somewhat consistent with its mechanics. The fact that “you like this” doesn’t make this problem disappear.

Absolver Beam doesn’t need just rebalancing, it needs full, fundamental rework, because in its current form it has unhealthy effect on the game as a whole. As others were telling you again and again, this weapon is either Overpowered, or completely useless, depending on wave you are facing, with no middle ground. It makes most epic waves effortlessly easy, but also is almost unusable on fair portion of trivial waves.

This 0/1 performance is the very definition of badly designed gameplay that is avoided at all cost in pretty much all video games. Weapons should obviously be strong/weak in some scenarios, but they should never be OP and useless, and that’s what this rework wants to archieve. To make it not as OP against miniboss spam, and make it more usable against limited time waves.

But this, unfortunately is only a tip of the iceberg. As I said, current form of this weapon has negative effect on the balance of whole game. It basically takes everything that CIU stands for and throws it out of the window. Many waves (with bubbles or other defense mechanisms) make simply no sense when player uses this weapon. It bypasses bubbles, barries, everything. It literally breaks the CIU’s gameplay.

On forum there are already requests to rework some bossfights, because Absolver simply bypasses their design and makes them underwhelmingly easy to beat. Do you really, unironically claim, that weapon, which breaks so many things in the game, is healthy and doesn’t need a rework?

Ah and this:

Nice strawman. I don’t know what you wanted to accomplish with that. But I doubt anyone will take you seriously, after seeing this.

8 Likes

This. This is a problem. We shouldn’t be doing this.

We should be making the weapon work with the game, and not making the game work with the weapon. So that’s why - even though I don’t feel like Absolver is far off at the moment - I agree that it’s not satisfactory.

7 Likes

I think that part of the problem is that the vaſt majority of players haven’t yet had the chance to get to know abſolver well. We ſhould wait at leaſt another month ſo that we can get uſed to it and its relationſhip to all the rebalanced weapons.

Honeſtly, I don’t mind having a high-risk, high reward weapon. I don’t think they ſhould all be that way, but juſt one or two would be nice.

It’s worth noting that the all-or-nothing behaviour of abſolver makes the wave inſight much more valuable, and is the only reaſon I would conſider getting one.

On the other hand, abſolver is uſeleſs for the Henterpriſe. At leaſt, I’ve never had ſucceſs with it.

That’s a fair point, actually - I haven’t used insights much so I can’t really comment on it.
But you shouldn’t need insight to use the weapon, either.

That’s also true.

I am definitely familiar with it - I have played a good many missions with it - and I’m in support of at least some minor tweaks, though no big overhauls or anything.

I see no risk outside of praying4RNG to get good waves. Yeah, that must be extremely fun, relying on something totally out of your control.

I don’t see what it helps you with aside from letting you know you’ll be screwed one wave earlier, and that you should farm for a different weapon using end session before getting to the wave(which will be punished later on).

4 Likes

Do you grab all the gifts that go by? I don’t; I pick and chooſe. But there are ſome people who like playing this way, ſo we ſhouldn’t make all the weapons equal on the risk front.

The point is leſs that you redo the wave a bunch of times to try and get the gift you like, but if you know it’s goïng to ſuck, then you’re leſs likely to let that ion blaſter gift ſlip by.

No, but there is no way to know what you’re going to get. You could go through an entire 40 waves-long mission and not get the gift you want without farming(not overstating it, btw).
Also, I was talking about the waves you get, not the presents you get.

Provided it actually appears*.

6 Likes

Can i ask what is the name of the program you used in this screenshot?

paint.net

Oh, thanks!