So I’m probably the only one who’s bothered by this currently, but:
In CI2, there was a Mother-Hen ship. no I’m not bothered by that bit keep reading
Both CI3 and CI…5? (I forget which one, lol) had a callback to this boss updated for the current engine. Neither were as hard as the original, but were fun Easter Eggs (I’m not sorry for that pun).
But in CIU, both callbacks were added, and now the depiction of the Mother-Hen ship is inconsistent. One version is waaay bigger than the other and has a completely different fight.
I propose a merge.
(Because obviously merging two bosses is programatically a super easy thing to do that’s not at all time consuming, shush)
Here’s how my proposed merge would work:
- Could have either name (doesn’t matter which, as long as it’s consistent).
- Begins with the “Blast from the Past” moveset - progressively increasing bullet count and moving around slowly.
- After this, moves to a second phase (think Yolk-Star™) where the shell (that’s already been damaged in phase one! see i thought this out) starts to crack away and reveal the yolk, just like in the “Mother-Hen Ship” adaption. It would also start to rotate and fire the red triplet of lasers just like the current version.
- Here’s the kicker - In phase two (perhaps only on higher difficulties?) it would still retain the purple blossom attack from phase one. Ideally this would start spawning from the yolk instead of the egg center when the phase shifts.
- I do not yet know which orientation and zoom level to go with, but it would remain stable during the entire fight. No weird mid-fight change or anything like that. I’d lean towards the CI3 version myself because it’s harder and more accurate to the original version, meaning in the second phase the egg would be smaller (not sure about yolk size) and be oriented vertically, rather than horizontally as that phase currently is. I think the other orientation could work, but would prefer the first unless for some reason it’s way less technically feasible.
- More difficulty added to both fights! The second phase is definitely in need of it.
- More accuracy to the original game! (ok it’s not the original it’s the sequel but it was still pretty original)
- Less weird inconsistency where two interpretations of the ship exist simultaneously!
- Could allow for possible future adaption into the CI2 variant as well for a new Yolk-Star™ tier boss, rather than adding that as a third variant like I read was planned somewhere. We don’t need three versions of the same boss!!! space crab notwithstanding
- It’s a win-win-win! Only downside is that it would be proper awful to code, I imagine.
And before some bright spark comes along and says:
I still feel like this idea has never really been fleshed out properly and only really tossed around as a theoretical. And if you’ve suggested it before feel free to link and claim the - I don’t want it anyway, as I’ve said before.
But I think from a gameplay and lore perspective (we all know what serious and deep lore CI has) this would be really cool and logical change, even if it’s perhaps a wee bit on the unneccesary side.
Thoughts? Love it? Hate it? Have a better idea? Comment!!!