Italian translation is pure Madness

Are you totally sure that letting users translate your game into other languages is useful?

i can talk only for italian (i’m italian) and i see a lot of mistakes caused by the lack of knowledge of low-level Italian and the use of an automatic translator

for example (this make me mad a lot) the word “Fare” which has been used many times in translations and would be the translation of “do” and “make”, but… "fà"does not exist in the Italian dictionary, it never existed! why… why did someone translate it like this?

explanation from an authoritative source of an Italian encyclopedic dictionary: Un “-fà” accentato si usa soltanto come desinenza nei composti di “fare”, secondo la regola per cui l’accento grafico è obbligatorio nelle parole composte accentate sull’ultima sillaba, anche se l’ultima parola – da sola – andrebbe scritta senza accento

you can reply to me “yeah, you can correct it”: NO, I CAN’T, there are to many and some italian guys keep correcting me and putting that non-existent word back! (probably a visual bug)

this is not the only mistake… “premiata” is a word that can be translated with “Awarded”, but they are without context, the phrase “Premiata” to describe a medal makes no sense, one should use “Premio”, but even here someone keep putting “Premiata” instead of “Premio”, this is because he used an automatic translator. Here is the evidence

some Italian want an explanation? here it is: you don’t get a “Premiata”, you get a “Premio” for doing something, in italian: tu non ricevi un “Premiata”, tu ricevi un “Premio” per aver fatto qualcosa!

at this point I would like to ask you if this happens in other languages as well, because this fact seems very “Italian!”

3 Likes

Welcome! Me and @Stardrone did many of the Italian translations, and sure, we might have made some mistakes. Any correction is appreciated. If you don’t want to correct them, we can do it for you.

Please provide a concrete example of a phrase that you translated, but that was overridden by someone else after your translated it.

Currently, in the database I see 49 phrases in your name (mostly related to medals)

4 Likes

By the way, this happens in some of my friends’ languages too.

Also, would you like joining a chat group I’ve created here with the Italian translators?

1 Like

many of the translations relating to the medals went back to the original “premiata” after I translated them the next day, I can’t tell to you now which ones and how many, but I tried to correct some of them, as you pointed out!

it’s my first day in the forum, so I can’t write any more reply, thank you very much for your Replys to my Topic!

Just in case, there’s a “Choice” button other translators can click on to restore your translations

1 Like

I see that all of your phrases say “premio” in the database. Perhaps it’s a bug that you don’t see them – I’ll look into it.

4 Likes

Odd. The word “premiata” doesn’t appear anywhere in the medal translations (either by you or any other translator). Are you sure you saw it? Please provide a screenshot.

3 Likes

That word appeared in “Career medals awarded”. Then I removed it 5 minutes ago

1 Like

Even so, that’s just one phrase. I was under the impression that the original complaint was for a more widespread problem.

3 Likes

all the sentences were like this, I had the impression someone had corrected above me again, but apparently I had a problem myself or some visual bug, but the day after the corrections, they were back “Premiata”, but it isn ’ t

1 Like

No offense intended to iA or anyone else, but:

Are you totally sure that letting users translate your game into other languages is useful?

Personally, I think yes, but my view on all this is that while it is a good idea, it would make (which it did) a hell of a start when it was implemented.
Reports and complains about trolls and such.
In my opinion this is one of the best and most innovative additions in an MMO, but at the same time the beginning of it is one heck of a bumpy ride.

A few people asked me if I’d like to translate the game in my native language too, I said it’s unlikely but if I ever do, it’ll be waaaayy later when this feature is stable and properly implemented. When I say properly implemented I don’t mean there’s anything wrong with it since personally I haven’t even touched it, it’s just that seeing these complains was enough to tell me a rough estimate of how well the feature is doing right now.
Since it’s a new feature, it may also run the risk of deleting any translations in order to make it stable, therefore making all efforts in vain.

I’m not discouraging anyone from trying out the translation, this is just my personal view that I wouln’t touch it as an early feature until it is more stable.

1 Like

Perhaps translation moderators to remove the trollish translations, accuracy of the honest translations determined by community votes.

1 Like

These reports are greatly exaggerated. There was indeed a bug that would cause you to see someone else’s translation (your translation wasn’t lost – you just didn’t see it as the first choice, as you should), but that’s been fixed as far as I can tell.

That already exists, however the problem is that the community is still small and not enough people would go through the trouble of correcting a wrong translation, even if they spot the error.

The common case right now is that there’s a single “correct” translation and a single “wrong” translation, and that’s not nearly enough samples to decide which one to use.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.