Graphics bug- ſcreen flaſhing red

I wanted to report a longſtanding graphics bug.

At random but not infrequent intervals (2-10 minutes?) the entire ſcreen goes either red (like an orangiſh, peachy red, not like a bright red) or white for a few frames, than goes back to normal (quickly enough that it’s eaſy to miſs). I’ve gotten uſed to it at this point, and it doeſn’t really effect the gameplay, but it’s ſtill undeſired. I have Vſync turned off (becauſe whenever I’ve tried it it’s made the ſpaceſhip hard to control), and I always play in fullſcreen. The problem is preſent whether or not I have recording ſoftware running.

HA! Looking back in my recordings, I caught it:

Here’s the previöus frame of my recording (which does not capture every frame of gameplay):

This is during a retro miſſion, but the problem exiſts elſewhere too. I’ve noticed that ſome waves are more prone to it than others- in particular, the egg cannon.

EDIT: I found another occurrence of this, alſo during a retro miſſion (the ſame one, in fact):

What’s intereſting here is that the flaſh colour is inconſiſtent, even under very ſimilar circumſtances.

3 Likes

Huh… interesting… judging by the fact that the color is inconsistent, and also that it’s drawn below your spacecraft (and the HUD), I’m guessing that it’s one of the puffs from your engine exhaust that (for some reason) is drawn at a huge scale, thereby covering the entire screen.

Will check the code to see if/how that can occur.

Is anyone else using this particular engine type using a particle-based engine and has also noticed this?

It alſo happens with my other ſpacecraft, which has a different exhauſt type (the top left in the exhauſt type ſetting). I’ll ſee if I can find ſome ſcreenſhots of thoſe.

Several exhausts are made of particles… If there’s an issue with the particle system, it will affect all of them.

I’ve instrumented v.25 to try to catch this when it happens again.

I find it very strange that no-one else has reported this, however :thinking:

In any case, post here immediately if you see it again in v.25 and I’ll check the logs.

1 Like

I haven’t ſeen this iſſue with the current verſion yet, but I did ſee a ſimilar bug juſt now which I’ve experiënced far leſs. The ſcreen flaſhed quickly white. It’s the ſame bug as I reported here back in Januäry. I’ll let you know if I catch it on film (well, the modern replacement for it anyway…).

EDIT: Oh, great, I juſt ſaw the red flaſh again.

Odd, the logs didn’t catch anything… you’re playing on your regular “Traveller” account? And you’re using the same engine as in your screenshots?

Regarding the flashes of white, white is the color of the underlying window. If your graphics driver doesn’t draw a frame (typically during periods of high load) and the OS decides to redraw the game window, white is what you’ll see. E.g., In some cases you’ll see white when you first start the game (before DirectX has had a chance to initialize).

Yes and yes. Sorry!
If it helps, the last time the flash started sort of in a horizontal band in the middle of the ſceen.

Huh. Good to know! I have a Lenovo Thinkpad, so gaming’s not exactly it’s forte (TBH it’s not mine either). I gueſs a gaming computer would be better at avoiding this.

I don’t know if the same applies, but when changing windows/menus in the game occasionaly part of the screen will flash yellow (My HUD color but might be unrelated). It’s not the entire screen, like a quarter or something. Sorry I don’t have this documented :S

Well, I juſt caught it flaſhing blue, but I don’t know where the colour might’ve come from; I don’t think it’s from the exhauſt.

Alſo, ſome of the chickens are above it, but not all of them.

1 Like

The blue comes from the vest of a chicken. I’ve highlighted which one below:

The chicken’s wings and body have been drawn, then the vest has been drawn (most likely) at a huge scale covering the entire screen, and the chicken’s head (the last part of a chicken to be drawn) has been drawn on top. You can tell because there’s a disembodied chicken head floating in space :slight_smile:

I’m going to put this down to a buggy driver (probably the DirectX 9 emulation part of the driver). With exhausts it’s conceivable that I could have made a mistake and made a particle huge, but chicken vests are not scaled programmatically in any way. Plus I think that if this were a problem in my code, more people would have reported it.

Do you know what GPU the laptop is using? And which driver? Run dxdiag.exe and paste the output here.

2 Likes

I hoped that that ſcreenſhot would be more helpful than the others!

I can’t get the full 1481 line text file to paſte correctly, but I can ſend it via email if needed.

The output window unfortunately does not ſupport copy and paſte, ſo I’m doïng a few quick ſearches in the output file for the moſt promiſing ſections:

GPU and driver

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 940MX
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Type: Render-Only Device
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_134D&SUBSYS_505C17AA&REV_A2
Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
Device Problem Code: No Problem
Driver Problem Code: Unknown
Display Memory: 6068 MB
Dedicated Memory: 2020 MB
Shared Memory: 4047 MB
Current Mode: Unknown
HDR Support: Unknown
Display Topology: Unknown
Display Color Space: Unknown
Color Primaries: Unknown
Display Luminance: Unknown
Driver Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvlt.inf_amd64_6608c7a6e4ffbd7d\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvlt.inf_amd64_6608c7a6e4ffbd7d\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvlt.inf_amd64_6608c7a6e4ffbd7d\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvlt.inf_amd64_6608c7a6e4ffbd7d\nvldumdx.dll
Driver File Version: 22.21.0013.8205 (English)
Driver Version: 22.21.13.8205
DDI Version: 12
Feature Levels: 11_0,10_1,10_0,9_3,9_2,9_1
Driver Model: WDDM 2.2
Graphics Preemption: DMA
Compute Preemption: DMA
Miracast: Not Supported by Graphics driver
Hybrid Graphics GPU: Discrete
Power P-states: Not Supported
Virtualization: Paravirtualization
Block List: No Blocks
Catalog Attributes: N/A
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 01-May-17 2.00:00, 901704 bytes
WHQL Logo’d: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: Unknown
Device Identifier: Unknown
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x134D
SubSys ID: 0x505C17AA
Revision ID: 0x00A2
Driver Strong Name: oem44.inf:0f066de3c1ec1d3e:Section204:22.21.13.8205:pci\ven_10de&dev_134d&subsys_505c17aa
Rank Of Driver: 00D10001
Video Accel: Unknown
DXVA2 Modes: Unknown
Deinterlace Caps: n/a
D3D9 Overlay: Unknown
DXVA-HD: Unknown
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled
MPO MaxPlanes: 0
MPO Caps: Not Supported
MPO Stretch: Not Supported
MPO Media Hints: Not Supported
MPO Formats: Not Supported
PanelFitter Caps: Not Supported
PanelFitter Stretch: Not Supported

Syſtem info

Time of this report: 7/27/2019, 00:20:11
Machine name: I’ve deleted this. Juſt 'cuz.
Machine Id: Same.
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: LENOVO
System Model: 20H1CTO1WW
BIOS: R0DET88W (1.88 ) (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8094MB RAM
Page File: 11781MB used, 2508MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)
System DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: UnKnown
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.17134.0001 64bit Unicode

1 Like

Hey, good news; laſt night a ſimilar thing happened when I moved my mouſe down to the taskbar and CIU waſn’t open, ſo it’s definitely a problem with my computer. I hadn’t ſeen it before likely becauſe CIU is really the only graphics-intenſive programme on my computer. Other than CI5, which I haven’t played that many hours. Thanks for all your patience and the time you’ve dedicated to tryïng to fix this. Sorry about the faulty bug report.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.