About moderation and development

The forum could have one more moderator (explain why)

One moderator would likely be just enough and I agree with you that Orandza is a good moderator candidate. That’s about all I have to say here, really.

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s the problem that so called “regulars” were supposed to help with (flagging system). But since it is super easy to get this title (requirements aren’t hard and you can get it without trying) we have now 39 regulars and I feel like every one understands the rules differently. You see we removed flagging ability from “member” tier users and they started to write posts with “off-topic” making a bigger mess. So we don’t only need moderators, but we also need to lecture users on not making a mess. (repeating things someone already said in the same topic, not using like button, not using edit button where writing post under your own post)

Yeah, I’m also curious about it.

Why volunteers? Life is brutal and this is not a charity organization.

I feel like we are now in pretty good speed of releasing updates. (I mean, one week for a new version?)(Still I wouldn’t call many of EA version deserving to be numbered differently, because they weren’t massive and weren’t adding any content (bugfixes could be just Version XX.5)). Yeah and even if it would be a little profit from that I wouldn’t exactly want to help since this game is made in C++ DX 9.0. I despise C++ and would rather work on OpenGL or Vulkan since it is much more convenient for future (DX is locked to Windows and DX12 is locked to only one windows system, we’re right now in era of cross-play on many platforms so don’t get sucked into DirectX if you’re starting gamedev)

5 Likes

Unless you’re over 18 (and you are), I don’t think you’re eligible to get paid.

2 Likes

Most of the countries have laws that allow people over 15 years old to work, but only if the hours are restricted. Also why wouldn’t you be eligible to get paid? I mean, you do the work just smaller amount (by speaking of hours) so probably payment is also respectively smaller (I don’t know exactly I didn’t have a work when I was under 18 years)

5 Likes

" Glory lies in the attempt to reach one’s goal and not in reaching it."

Okay, but how is this related to this thread?

About assets and music: not everyone has an eye for programming and honestly the game needs talented composers and artists as much as it needs programmers because honestly there’s a lot of potential for this franchise to become truly unique.

1 Like

Moderators (and especially the punishments they dish out) are controversial. Above else, they must be impartial and level-headed. But moderators are people, too. They can get emotional, and the last thing I want is user vs. moderator drama. Currently, my decisions are final, so there is no conflict. I really don’t want to have to deal with second-guessing the moderators or undoing their ‘wrong’ decisions – that would be bad any way you look at it.

Also, the main purpose of this forum right now is Early Access user feedback, not general community development. In that sense it’s best if I personally go through each post (especially bugs/ideas) and make a decision as to its merit. Moderators will definitely be needed in the future, as the community grows x10 (hopefully).

CIU is a complex game. Exceedingly complex. Complicating factors: It’s in C++ (ugh), it’s a large codebase (200k+ lines), it’s multi-threaded, it’s very fragile because it’s client-server architected at the mission level, it’s (differently) client-server architected at the galaxy level, it’s an MMO (don’t even get me started). The chicken choreography part alone (which ensures that chickens move in a coordinated manner) is something beyond the typical programmer’s capabilities (I’m mentioning this explicitly because it’s precisely what I had trouble with during the iPhone sub-contracting).

CIU code even exposes compiler bugs, and those are rare.

It would take someone with 10+ years of experience in multiple domains (concurrency, geometry, asynchronous and distributed systems, performance, networking, databases) to even consider looking at it. And it would take months of becoming familiar enough with it to make contributions.

So, realistically, programming help is not going to happen. Anyone already good enough to tackle this project is probably already running their own company :laughing: .

What is much more likely is finding help with (a) concept drawings for spacecraft / enemies / waves / weapons (b) artists that can do 3D modelling / texturing ( c) sound designer.

As for (a), the forum goes a long way toward that. (b) is possible, although any hiring would be done based on their existing work, and I haven’t yet seen any fan work that’s up to standard. And different toolchains (e.g., different modelling software) is always a problem when integrating ‘outside’ work. ( c) could also work, but sound design is not such a huge time/effort burden anyway.

24 Likes

One moderator: I think it has been explained in previous replies. I think one qualified person will suffice.
Volunteering with beta testing builds, programming only: Beta testing builds obviously would help with having a more polished update before it’s out. Also it would help with managment, because work with volunteers is almost like with a dev team, except they have less impact on the game and choices ultimately lie in IA’s hands. Why only programming? Perhaps not purely programming, but I think that should be mostly it. Small tweaks to textures, recolors are great. However I think for the art to be cohesive, it needs to be done by someone already expierienced with it. And while yes, if people make great art that would fit in the game, then it can freely be added. But because people wanting to get something in the game haven’t worked on chickens for the last years, it might seem a little out of place in the game (Texturing, models not being consistent in the game). Music, as long as it fits, could definetly be addded.

2 Likes

:eyes:

Keep eyes on the “general artwork” topic :wink:

6 Likes

Yeah, about that. So, you must obviously read every topic because of that right? So if someone makes an idea then the best way would be for you to reply with either “it won’t be possible” or “I need more time to think about it” or “it’s good, I will add it”. In the first case and last case you can (and should) close the topic because the discussion is already over and there’s nothing we can change about it. The same goes with bug reports. I’m still standing by my opinion that topics shouldn’t be closed after 14 days because some of them are still worthy of discussing.

Have you thought of changing the language or do you think it won’t help you with absolutely anything? I’m not talking about CIU, but maybe some future game. Like maybe totally a new IP. Who knows maybe you’ll find other language that won’t be so picky and you can work few times faster. You can even try other game engines, they are really good - Unity, Unreal Engine 4 (this however is better for 3D), Godot.

How can it be multi-threaded on DirectX 9.0? Even DirectX 11 doesn’t have actual multi threading support. They were designed to work on one core systems. The only good APIs today that have actual multi threading support (both in CPUs and GPUs) are Vulkan and DirectX 12.

So what tools do you use to make Chicken Invaders games? Like, what do you use as a IDE or as a modelling software?

5 Likes

Dude, you would know how hard is to change language even at small 1000 lines of code project. C++ is very flexable and IA have (probably) been developing on it for a very long time so they know it on pretty high level.
By the way, game engines like Unity have their own license which can cause problems.

5 Likes

Please read literally next sentence and then reply.

1 Like

I read it closely. Twice.

If you change the language you are using (even from the same family, like to C#), you need to learn the whole syntax from zero. C++ is not too picky btw. Supporting big projects on it is easier than on more simple languages. C#, for example, is good for fast prototypes but with a big project you will meet some problems. Of course, there are good and big projects on C# too but people who did those were learning it for ages.

UPD:

That’s exactly what I am talking about.

6 Likes

C# is super simple to pick up though, especially if you’ve started with web languages first. Have you seen Monogame? It’s a pretty good framework.

Besides qbus meant using another language in another game, not CI

1 Like

Yhym, aren’t you exaggerating a little?

No it’s not. It’s a very sturdy language and you need to remember about many things to make it work perfectly. C# is much more flexible than C++ and it’s a fact. It’s better at cross-platform, it has automated garbage collector.

Yeah, they a have massive experience so it wouldn’t be a problem for them.

What problems?
The only thing it changes is profit from games. Once you hit certain limit you must starting paying a cut.

Yeah, totally not picky. It’s so not picky to the point that Microsoft is planning to change all their software to Rust because C++ is known for memory leaks.

You will encounter problems on every language with big projects so I don’t know what you wanted to prove with this.

Team Cherry would like to disagree. Valve also would like to disagree.

1 Like

It requires deep thought to understand how it’s related to this thread unless you are a big Gandhi fan.
It does relate however and in very positive and civilized manner.

Not even my deepest existential philosophical thoughts can enlighten me on this matter, perhaps you can save us some precious time and explain it yourself?

My best guess is the fact I mentioned more frequent updates. In that case don’t forget we didn’t get updates for months at one point because IA was extremely tired and needed a break from all this work. Obviously he can’t release weekly updates all the time, you know?

Regardless, I was not complaining about the amount of content we’re getting and how fast we’re getting it. In fact I never complained about anything in this thread and I don’t think I have on this forum (on this matter at least). So the quote was not very necessary.

2 Likes

Well that’s not even in the ball park of the point I thought might be made.

Satisfaction lies in the effort,not in the attainment, full effort is full victory.
“InterAction_studios The Man” certainly has been at full effort for a very long time,therefore he is victorious! “the journey is just as important as the destination” sort of thing.
You also are applying effort to reach the destination therefore you also are victorious…
And I’m gonna shut on up with all this philosophical thought. Lol

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.