A little tweak to low detailed mode

It doesn’t matter, this scene causes significant decrease in performance due to the massive amount of objects there. Plus, it’d run even worse if Mish installed at least windows 7 there (Least Windows that can run CIU), which would be worse on that computer than Linux.

1 Like

IA already planned to add a crazy amount of waves lol, not something like this topic.

This doesn’t really matter, he checks most ideas suggested on the forum.

Wine sometimes runs even faster than windows DirectX. Steam deck uses modified Arch with their own Proton (which is a modified Wine). Therefore I doubt it might be the main reason of slowdown in a heavy for rendering scene.

As soon as I get my pc repaired I can test this on windows, of course, but it doesn’t make sense. IifireIi uses windows, if I’m not wrong, and he also mentioned that issue. That might mean something.

Recategorised. If you meant the version topic, I really don’t like putting version independent issues there, and that spiral is here for ~90 versions, or even more. It’ll also help with searching if there is a need. In my opinion, in past people here used to utilise topics more efficiently.

3 Likes

I installed DirectX in my windows and doesn’t do something at all, neither slows or fasten.

Windows 8 and newer come with built-in DirectX. Installing it manually downloads some extra packages that might be required for some apps. That might be the reason nothing changed for you.

3 Likes

The galaxy is 850 particles (3.4K vertices). It uses a technique of clumping a few stars together in each particle to give the equivalent appearance of ~10K stars.

This is certainly not a significant amount by any modern means, but it does seem to strain your hardware for some reason (Due to hardware specs? Due to emulation? Due to alpha blending?)

Perhaps your fill rate is the bottleneck. What resolution are you using? Try lowering it to the absolute minimum and see how your FPS improves.

11 Likes

1024x768. 640x480, the lowest available, is not much better: 11 instead of 9. Hardware is painfully slow on its own, of course, I believe it’s the main issue.

All Windowses come with built-in DirectX.

Mostly when the program heavily relies on Vulkan and OpenGL - Doom (2016), Minecraft

1 Like

I expected that, but my build of Win7 refused to work with anything DX related unless I install the package explicitly. 8 didn’t do that.

Even Windows Premiere Edition?

2 Likes

even windows 1.0???

Windows Premiere Edition is a pre-release version of Windows 1.0, compiled on July 30, 1985.

1 Like

Even Windows 1983 Comdex Demo?

Pretty sure all those objects are enough to take a lot of resources, especially with the code that changes their appearence.
I don’t think it’s because of emulations, Linux is faster than Windows.
And for me, my normal Windows 8 slows greatly in that scene, going from ~100 fps to ~30 fps.

I’m reluctant to change this because:

• The galaxy is an integral part of the logo, and I don’t want its appearance to vary depending on the detail level
  • It only appears during the menu, when a low FPS isn’t really detrimental to the experience
  • It’s only slow on very weak/old hardware

Nevertheless, for testing purposes in v.110 you can hold down the “D” key to temporarily reduce the particles by half. Let me know how much this improves things.

12 Likes

Figured out a way to reduce the particles even more, yet still preserve 90% of appearance.

Changed in v.111 :medal_sports: Idea

14 Likes

what if instead of rendering it on pc it just display some kind of gif like animation so there would be no losses AND cause near to no lag

Would be cool if it wasn’t taking a ton of space, unlike a single texture and some transformation, like it is currently.

2 Likes

IA , this should be v110.2 not v111 .