[Retracted] Weapon suggestion - Close range stream (+ Pulse Cannon and Krypton Phaser redesign and rebalance)

Due to various reasons, I have decided to fully retract this submission. This means that, if at all, it will likely be implemented in a vastly different form than originally suggested. If it is implemented, I as the creator no longer desire medals for any ideas that were included here.

@InterAction_studios if you are reading this, please do not use any original assets (anything that wasn’t a recolored version of an in-game sprite) that were included in this post. I’d also prefer if you didn’t use the names of the weapons (“Pulse Cannon” and “Krypton Phaser”), if possible.
I only lay claim to the aforementioned content. You are, of course, free to make use of the general concepts, if you so desire.

Posts about the old versions of these weapons remain, as I do not have permissions to delete or edit them.

29 Likes

OH Boi Those Looks Super Epic i hope IA add it :,V

3 Likes

Name ideas:

Octopus Tentacle
Venom Tongue

4 Likes

Pulse cannon: Sounds good on paper and aoe is a thing that is missed in the game (I know 3/4 of satellites have this but I was intenting basic weapons).
I’m not a fun of pinky stuff but is so cool and fitting.

Krypton phaser is unecessary in my opinion, too much machine guns in the game.
In my opinion is even ugly (Bad color choice)

I don’t really like the Radion tentacle (streamy thing)
Is too risky especially over 80% of bosses.
One of laser cannon’s problem is its limited range and that thing is even worse. Damage doesn’t value the risk
I don’t even like the choice of color. There are already 2 of 3 weapons on the same category similar (Positronic stream and plasma rifle)

I wouldn’t really classify it as a “machine gun” (I called it an autocannon for a reason). The slow rate of fire makes it more like a cross between Boron Railgun and Corn Shotgun.

I got this exact complaint with the first version, which is why I later remade it with an even slower fire rate and a maximum of 2 projectiles per volley at higher levels.
In the end, I decided that version was too boring so I went for this instead. The playstyle is still completely different from the current automatic weapons.

It was originally green (in fact, I originally posted it because we currently have only one green weapon - Neutron Gun), but I changed the colors because these better represent the colors of actual krypton plasma (or in case of the weak projectile, krypton-xenon plasma). In my opinion, it looks fine.

The only way to see if this weapon (and also the Pulse Cannon) can actually work is through testing. On :zap:10 the beam is around 470px long, which is a bit less than half the screen. It could possibly be made to work like the Laser Cannon does now, extending the beam depending on the zoom level.

It was originally pink/blue, but I decided to change it (I just thought this version looked better tbh).

3 Likes

That’s some really interesting ideas there, pal! Love’em!
Mind if I ask you one question though?
What software did you used to make these assets? It looks like it’s almost taken from original game! And I’d be really happy if you could answer. I want to make my next concept arts as professional as possible :]

1 Like

Pulse Cannon: definetly YES!

Krypton Phaser: sounds like a faster neutron gun to me, but as automatic fire instead of manually doing it. Kind of a mixed bag, the positive being the colour choices and the negative being something that somewhat we already have. Maybe if it had a damae increase the hotter the weapon is, it could be a better apealing. Though, I would instead prefer this mechanic to be pasted onto Hypergun, since it is also a ‘hot shard firer’ that sounds great on paper, but in practice it is a completely worthless weapon. So, if we’re shooting hot pieces of sharp metal, why not have a damage increase the hotter the weapon is? It is pretty much adding a new strategy to it, same way than Vulcan Chaingun has with spread and heat, especially useful on asteriods, comets, supernova and Caught by surprise.

Creepy Stream: it would be fun to try, I would expect a lot of rage with this.

All assets for the original versions of these weapons, as well as the revised versions here were made in paint.net with BoltBait’s , MadJik’s and pyrochild’s plugin packs.

Gerenally whenever I try to make a laser, bolt or literally anything I just start off with a shape (usually made with a brush or, in cases of lasers, a line), sometimes I use some plugin in the distort section to make it more irregular, then duplicate the layer, apply some gaussian blur and change the blend mode to whatever I think looks good.

I mostly improvise. The way I revamped the Pulse Cannon projectile was I just took the original one (which looked like this: Pulse PulseS ), copied the layer, changed the blend mode to color dodge (I think) and then blurred it a bit. I did some more messing about with the flare and the explosion and then used the same technique to make sure that they’re visually consistent.

With the Krypton Phaser projectile, which was originally green and blue, I used the curves plugin to separate the green and blue channels into different layers and then started recoloring them and tweaking the blend modes.
This is how they look like if you separate the layers:

4 Likes

Big thanks!
I’m gonna bookmark this post if you don’t mind, because this is really useful.
I’m not a pro with art programs, but I think I’ll understand.

1 Like

I believe @1galbatorix1 is already giving this feature to Boron Railgun.

Not quite correct. Boron Railgun and Vulcan Chaingun fire superheated metal chunks, while the Hypergun is energy based. So is Krypton Phaser, or specifically, it’s plasma based.

Technically it’s slower. It packs more of a punch than Neutron and overheats way slower, but has a much lower rate of fire. Neutron Gun is generally good all-round, this thing on the other hand is based more on high DPV and high max damage before overheating.

2 Likes

I mistaken names, I thought Hypergun was the yellow one. :laughing: I hate those weapons and I hated vulcan untill the update on CI5 came, so I use to mistake those weapons (not vulcan anymore though).

By faster I mean velocity wise, not on firerate, but things get hard to understand when I put autofire on the same sentence. My bad.
So, I’m not familiar with weapon’s numbers, it would have a firerate similar to ion blaster’s autofire? I could be cool with that, slow firerate, focused high power and fast projectiles.

1 Like

Ion Blaster has an automatic rate of fire of 5/s. This one varies between 2 and 4 (for reference, Corn Shotgun’s manual fire rate on :zap:10 and 20 is 4.4/s).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.