Weapon Reskin Library V2.0

the same place as my ability to create new sprites from scratch

2 Likes

Some of the reskins are very, very interesting…

Sure thing, I won’t call you Luna outside. :ok_hand:

1 Like

Doom ray and Magma Stream are too opaque and remove the transparency purpose. Some people don’t mind it though as long as it is cool.

2 Likes

where are the daggers

These weapon skins are beautiful, I looked at these for 5 hours now

4 Likes

EDIT: If anyone is reading through this topic, this got fixed now. If you scroll down a bit you can see the original sprites that Akeimsora was referring to.

That’s because I used the sprite from the wiki, which was uploaded before the transparency changes were made. If you were to apply the same changes to the actual Positron Stream sprite/texture/howeverPositronActuallyWorks, you’d get all three streams looking much less opaque (not actually sure how that would affect the Corrupted Negatrons). Additional transparency changes could also be made where necessary.

I didn’t want to take that sprite and just decrease the transparency flatly across the whole beam, because that’s not how it actually works in-game - it’s kind of most opaque at the edges? If I better understood how the transparency actually works in the real Positron Stream, I could make better examples for the image, although really these images are more to convey the concept of the skin rather than show exactly how it would look in-game.

All that said, I must confess that Magma Stream in particular does look pretty cool as a solid colour. :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s a pretty amazing compliment, considering I posted this 4 hours ago. :joy:

But in all seriousness, big thanks. Glad you enjoyed them!

5 Likes

Damn this is brilliant. This is one of the few things I really want in the game.

5 Likes

Negative Neutron Gun uses a dark power? That should be a new OP weapon in the game

My favourite one!

2 Likes

Cmon where is pasta riffle?

Overall it could be great collection for start if we won’t have weapon customization available in the game. Because if we have it then some of yours could be simply made with it since you just changed the color. I’m against making CI2 neutron gun only as a skin. It was much better (or at least it feels like it was, still it’s the best weapon in CI2) than the present neutron gun.

Auegh, once again mobile stops fun things. New sprites would be much more fun and more special.

Yeah, but if it is made with game engine then why not just give players ability to customize the weapon themselves? Why limit to only few premade combinations?

So let’s just rename it to shotgun

I would say it would be more affected because it need to have some sense when thinking of skin. I thought of egg shotgun which would shoot small eggs and when it overheats it shoots splatted eggs. (both of them are already in the game so it won’t affect game size :wink: )

You weren’t alone - Problem with Utensil Poker

11 Likes

wow pretty cool, i want to see this ingame definitely

Tbh, that’s great work you made, even if it took long, great job kylo! :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Bruh I want to see a blue Absolver Beam

All the colorless weapons: Negative Gun, Black Lighting, Dark Chrome, MonoChrome Master And Light Cannon

Because I cant see all the Colors, im a dog if you dont see my ppf

3 Likes

What’s y color weapons?

1 Like

Bruh, my english is terrible, what more i need say? I will fix

2 Likes

I think “y” should not be there.

1 Like

Me too, actually - again, does anybody have the sprites for this?

This is a good point, and it was a consideration behind making these tbh. Realistically, in-game, I can see one of two things being possible, and would definitely hope at least one of them gets added:

1. Full colour customisation - like spaceship editing, but for weapons.
  2. Pre-made skins, like these

Each has their pros and cons, too - with full, user-driven editing, you’re limited by however editable the engine allows the sprite to be. Many of the weapon sprites would need to be remade to allow this, too. Take a look at Neutron Gun for example - if you just bluntly apply a colour filter over it, you’ll never get to the two recolours above, which use some negativity and contrast filters - and the classic skin will pretty much never be a thing, then.

Pre-made skins have a few benefits - you can have some more unique and quality edits, and can also use new sprites and advanced manipulation tweaks, or per-sprite editing (I can almost guarantee that in custom editing you wouldn’t get to customize your plasma impact sprite separately from the main one, for example, nor would basically any of the Riddler skins be possible, for various reasons).
And it also encourages space travel to find your favourite skins across the galaxy, and potential future content in updates, too. Finally, the devtime would almost certainly be lower, too. Really, the only disadvantage to this system is that it greatly reduces the number of total available choices (although that point shouldn’t be taken lightly).

Ultimately, I’d be happy to see either of these scenarios (and not necessarily with these skins either, although that would be really really cool) - but everybody was like “let’s add skins” and nobody was like “here are some actual examples” so I wanted to fix that and bring the somewhat intangible idea of weapon skins closer to conceivability. I designed these to be the best of both worlds - using in-game sprites where possible to avoid massive file clutter, but also designing original skins (like classic neutron) occasionally so that it wouldn’t just be “Here’s the pink skin. Here’s the green one.”

Eh… that’s so much less original, though…
I have since had some ideas that would work, but this weapon has been suggested to have a “popcorn” mechanic, and whether or not that gets added would totally change what skins would look like, so I’m holding out on it until that change is/isn’t made before I make skins for it. But I’d love to make Absolver skins if someone had the sprites…

That’s kind of cool, but it seems kind of counter-intuitive to be shooting the eggs at the chickens (not to mention visually a bit distracting, no doubt). It would feel like the Rebels building their own Death Star to fight the Empire - it’s thematically a bit challenging.

On the topic of in-game non-corn sprites that could work, the shrapnel from the spaceship/droids when they blow up could make a cool shotgun…

Then the current Neutron gun needs to be better. No point adding “the good Neutron Gun” if it makes the old one redundant. Having two front-firing weapons as similar as these will just clutter the weapon roster, because ultimately they’ll either end up pretty much equally balanced, or one will be superior to the other and make it obsolete.

Aha, if I could figure out a way to actually make that sprite look convincingly like pasta it would be there, don’t worry.

6 Likes

But…

Oops…

How to mod CI in five easy steps:

1. Watch @anon27929001’s helpful video tutorial
  2. Actually make the mod
  3. Don’t save as a compressed image
  4. Don’t save as a compressed image
  5. Post your Chicken Invaders artwork! - #577 by Kylo-Hen

Also, I updated the main post with V1.1 - Finished off the Photon Fairies and added more details on why Noir riddler isn’t just a boring sepia recolour (it still is, but it’s slightly cooler now). :stuck_out_tongue:

14 Likes

Version 1.2 - New Additions:

Absolver beam skins! Now all weapon except Corn Shotgun have their skins (corn will get some, just waiting for WBP so I know whether I need to make a popcorn sprite for each or not. :wink: )

Additional changes

• Classic Neutron got a significant polish because I found a better sprite to use…
  • Gave the third skin for Neutron a bit of a conceptual overhaul - even though it’s still using the same sprite as the original “Azure Wave”. You’ll see what I mean. :wink:
  • Riddler firing animations now included in the artwork to help people who struggle visualizing my notes (like me)
  • Positron has been remastered in the same transparency level/style as CIU version - they’re now all “gameplay viable”, I believe. You can see the old/new comparison below:
    Positron Stream Old Positron Stream

Thoughts? Anything I changed that you don’t like? Still waiting for corn? Let me know! :smiley:

13 Likes