The Yolk-Star could use some nerfs

And, as I believe has been talked about before, this is a problem. It makes it so that you have less space to manoeuvre the closer to the bottom of the screen you are, which is particularly problematic when you have to dodge terminators. I fully subscribe to the idea that the width of the lasers should be made constant, with the base width increased to compensate.

And don’t even get me started on terminators. Whenever I see a UFO or a miniboss spawn in I just pop a phaseout because it’s not worth trying to deal with that normally.

5 Likes

The two problems I do have with the Yolk Star:

First, Tapering Beams. I’d just prefer if the laser hitbox was a constant size. Make it slightly bigger, sure, but at least a constant size makes them a bit more fair when it comes to dealing with terminators.

Second, Terminator Spawn Positions.
At least prevent terminators from spawning at the bottom of the screen. The laser size at the bottom of the screen is already almost double the size of being right up close to the yolk star, and making it even harder to maneuver around terminators the lower down you are on screen, is just cruel.
Or even worse: They spawn right in your butt.

On the sides of the screens, it’s okay (because why would you be hugging the walls anyway). But at the bottom? Let’s at least give the player enough vertical space to move. Having limited horizontal space is bad enough, and reducing VERTICAL space is just adding salt to the wound. Even worse if a terminator does decide to spawn right below you.

Example of uncomfortably close terminators:

totally not me just trying to show off a little

6 Likes

Killing toxic chickens in the corner may work. Sometimes I destroy The Yolk-Star in 3rd phase of terminators for having more space to fight.

1 Like

To be honest I think Toxic Chickens should be removed from The Yolk Star entirely. All it does is just give you even less space to move around

You’re saying it like it’s a fact. There are clearly people who think otherwise.

2 Likes

And aside from yourself, who are you speaking for? Or is this a royal we?

3 Likes

How so? I don’t consider the difficulty level of a boss to be an intrinsic character of it. Also, fair difficulty and hard difficulty aren’t mutually exclusive qualities.

Speak for yourself. I’d also like to remind you that some of the most skilled players advocate for its nerf.

The reason Exponentiality is being discussed is that it achieves its difficulty in a better way than Yolk Star does; it’s challenging but it’s still fair. Yes, they are very different fights, but some comparisions can be drawn.

You’re boasting about playing over 60% on SSH?

(oh and btw a royal “we” isn’t a royal “we” anymore once you’re referring to a group of people)

3 Likes

If you have ever played NFSMW 2005, you’d know who Earl was. He’s probably the hardest rival in game and if you don’t believe me, you can try race him. The point here is Difficulty is what makes Earl, Earl. Without that, he’d just be like jewls cause they’d both be easy. Similarly, if you have ever played Minecraft, You’d know that The Wither is the most toughest mob I curse him most cause its difficult to kill him and he’s really annoying.

The point of the 1000 words i wrote is that Yolk Star is a very special boss due to the fact that its hard to kill him and the chickens he throws at us are really annoying. Without that buff, Yolk Star would just be a normal boss.

I never said “all of them”. Tho i still take those words back if they hurt.

Dude if you just saw me today, that does not means i just started CI today. I’ve been playing CI for more than 7 years now. The point of saying that 60% SSH thing was not to show off, it was just to tell that it isn’t impossible, you just need to understand the AI of that boss.

That logic makes 0 sense.
I’d respond to everything else, but Enhawk did the job perfectly.

2 Likes

They don’t hurt, they’re just bs.

And his point was that 60% is nothing.
See how fun a 100%+ssh yolk star is, especially if you get unlucky terminators.

No, it wouldn’t be a normal boss. I don’t understand why you think that, nor why you think that annoying=good. They’re literally totally different things.
Baby zombies aren’t fun at all, either. Maybe kids like them because they get to watch streamers rage thanks to them.

1 Like

Not necessarily. Earl can be put at #14, have the same car and be less difficult and it wouldn’t affect him, or the overall campaign at all. The Lacer EX is more representative of his character in my eyes than his difficulty.

This would be true if you were talking about CI3, where yeah, Yolk Star is THE final boss of the game. In that context, it would not make sense for it to be less difficult than previous bosses. However, in CIU, the difficulty of a boss you’re going to face is determined by the difficulty of that wave (note that by 50-60% it’s already much harder than anything in the episodes) and that bosses are at more or less the same difficulty level as the rest of the bosses. Yolk-Star isn’t consistent with the rest of the bosses when you come to 110-140% difficulties in being much more annoying and not fun to fight. The point of the “nerfs” isn’t nerfing the difficulty of it, but making the boss more fair. That’s two different things.

I… wouldn’t use Minecraft as an example of “fair” difficulty. There’s much to be criticized about some design choices in Survival and certain mobs, but this isn’t the place to discuss that.

1 Like

So you admit it’s not good, nice.

Yeah i do agree with that… Nerfing in a way so that it’d still be hard but fair.

A boss can still be unique without being absurdly difficult. If its absurd difficulty is the only unique feature of it, maybe it isn’t all that unique.

Just because previous renowned titles follow a certain structure regarding difficulty curves it doesn’t mean it’s a better way of doing challenges. Unfairness does not make good difficulty, it only detracts from your experience as a player.

Classic case of stockholm syndrome

1 Like

Agreed.

It should be hard, but fair. Like Veteran difficulty in COD should not exist but Cannon Cannon Cannonade is Hard yet fair.

Agreed

Yeah wasn’t that the outcome of the discussion that we’ve reached for the third time now on the same thread? This might have been avoided if you just had read the thread fully

1 Like

Yeah thats true. Srry my bad.

Can someone flag my posts so that they’ll be removed

Your posts will be removed after 24 hours, once you delete them.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.