Satellite Suggestion: OCDO

While I might be wrong about the defence system being RNG, I still stand on the point that it isn’t as dependable as the BBQ’rs though the OCDO’s last longer. You could predict the movement of the orbs and hope to catch bullets but in the heat of battle, this plan will break down and it might become difficult tracking the orbs, thus leading to a slipup and the player dying. The biggest hurdle of the OCDO is will it be better than the BBQ, overall, and sadly, my answer is no. I’d still take BBQ’rs over OCDO’s.

That being said, with the right hitbox size, it could be a decent stopgap bridge between a normal unshielded player and using a phaseout.

Edit: Just found out that instead of being always-on, it activates like any other satellite. And you could actually predict the movement of the orbs so I’ll take back the RNG statement.

Overall 6/10 Pros: A decent stopgap measure of protecting players from death without being too OP like DPO’s
Cons: Lack of dependability compared to BBQ’rs

1 Like

Satellite fire button exists for a reason

So like one of the Craws of Thunder Force but excluding the extra firepower? Big fan; but I have a question regarding the OCDO. If it defends from a projectile the user loses the NoSatellite medals immediately?

It only kills your “no satellite” after it blocks a single bullet.

As expected then

Maybe it could look like a sphere with a ring around it? (I was too lazy to add textures on it, but you get the gist. maybe the sphere could look like a Barrier, and the ring could have a ring of light signifying hitpoints left.)

8 Likes

Yes, maybe if you had 3 it could look like a Fidget Spinner.

7 Likes

Beyblade

1 Like

Sure, that would work too. Hell, probably even a better look than a forcefield.

1 Like

Like this?

1 Like

I see two unsolved issues with this:

1. How the orbs will smoothly move from their docked position to their orbit position and back (there might be several of them and ideally you’d want them evenly spaced out, but the docks aren’t and some satellites might be docked further away than others).

2. How the orbs will interplay with offensive satellites. If you need to hold the “satellite fire” key down to activate them, then this will also fire any offensive satellites, which is undesirable and wasteful. Alternatively, they could be stationary and “always on” as soon as you dock them (this of course will make them pointless if they’re docked far away from the spacecraft).

7 Likes

Don’t the orbs orbit around the spacecraft, anyway.

1 Like

This could actually work, but I’d wait for OneWing’s opinion first

Not if they’re stationary and “always on” , as I said.

I’m toying with the idea of activating/deactivating them with a single click (instead of holding down the button). So, click-and-release to enable, click-and-release to disable.

This will decouple them from the offensive satellites, but the downside is that it’s non-standard way to control satellites, and hence will be problematic to explain and/or cause bug reports.

3 Likes

Have the satellite be a “generator” that glows when active or something, and make the projectile-blocking orbitals separate entities that it generates - perhaps connected by a beam of energy, or something, for fun visuals.

Right-click to activate, right-click again to deactivate. They ignore held mouse inputs.
(EDIT: I realise you posted this further down, aha. It’s probably the most intuitive solution though… if it proves confusing the control scheme can be changed after implementation, probably).

Also, might I suggest a more… Chicken Invaders-esque name? Something like “Ionized Teflon Emitter” or “Energized Guardian Generator” (E.G.G for short) or even “Sauce Shields”. There’s plenty of wordplay opportunity here.

3 Likes

Well, at the most you can just avoid picking up that satellite. (Because if you had one of every satellite, you’d be firing the ones you don’t want to fire anyway)

But if that’s not an option, then perhaps the “Toggle” shall do.

A whole new defensive satellite button would work (and for more future defensive satellites)

coughs tha pan shield

2 Likes

That would be for lasers though

While this is true, making it work on a toggle will still cause ICBMs and Bird-Flu Guns to shoot. Unless, in addition to that, a short delay (similar to the spinup on the Microgun and Barbequer) is added to these satellites.

3 Likes

Then again, It’s like having Microguns or Barbequers with Bird Flus and ICBMs. If you only wanted to fire microguns, you’d have to fire an ICBM and Bird Flu Glob, which is still a waste anyway.

To be honest, ammo wastage is not as big as a deal, considering you can just get another satellite back anyway. Besides, complaining about OCDOs having to be activated with Offensives is just like complaining about having to shoot an ICBM to even start using the Microgun.

2 Likes