Problems about translation

A medium tier, linked account and long account time should be enough to make these translations clean, but sometimes a guest account should be used to test some lines out (the tutorial, messages about unexplored stuff, daily reward message due to how messages work). I’m not sure how the server treats the case when you’re using an account different to the one used to enter translation system first. Let’s say I log in my main account, Ctrl-T and select my language, then log out and log in using the guest account. The system still treats translation as my main account and I assume any changes I make in the guest apply as they were made in the main. If this works like that, it should be ok.

The other problem with translations we have faced was completely broken grammar. Yes, there is a rule which prohibits editing languages which are not your natives. I don’t think that being non native speaker changes much, at least because they learn the language unlike natives who speak it casually the whole life, often giving no dedication to actually learn it, at least in schools (not sure how that goes in other countries). The worst part is that some native speakers write awful sentences which make no sense, no matter what language they are using (no commas, no full stops, no capital letters, sometimes even switching words from place to place inside one sentence when it can’t work).

Then there are people who don’t understand the difference between Google Translate and a real translation process, usually losing the whole charm of wordplay. Google is useful when you need to get few words translated to get the point, but it doesn’t do that according to context and often corrupts sentences. This resulted in Yolk-Star™ being some kind of “Yolk of Star”[meaning representation] while the Death Star is “Star of Death”. In this case “Yolk of Death” reminds the reference and sounds cleaner (opinion made by asking several people). Then they ask “How does this look?” and when you try to explain them why that does not look right they just insult you. That’s a real situation which happened some time ago in our small translators chat when I’ve invited one particular person. I don’t really see a solution here due to how people in this world work :/

Sorry for a wall of text. That whole thing just pisses me off a bit.

10 Likes

IA also suggested having professional translators review the community’s work once all the text is locked in, to make sure the quality is consistent and no such thing goes into the final version of the game. I understand it’s infuriating to see, especially with such sensitive topics, but the structure and actions for dealing with this are already in place, it’s just a matter of time / when IA will be available.

I was just working on the French translation for Poultry Payback, which is a reference to Tubthumping (and I learned there’s an official French mix!)… Well, I think that’s topical enough: these trolls are never gonna keep us down!

5 Likes

Agree, however the troll now have gone too far, since when they insulted Ho Chi Minh. If you come to Vietnam, you will know why Vietnamese respect him so much
240562413_598215061537669_6266856318453178928_n

3 Likes

Everyone understand. Not only you, many people really piss off right now.

1 Like

This is a really overlooked topic and we should talk more about it.

Summary

I don’t want to make this one a long side discussion here. If it happens please let’s move it on the other translation topic.

One doesn’t translate a videogame (or any digital media) but it apply a process called “localization”.
Localization is the act in wich a videogame is adapted into a language (or even a culture) that doesn’t belong to it.

In the industry translators usually don’t see where their translation actually go in-game (to avoid leaks) but they have an almost full creativity freedom that is limited only by their supervisors.

What I’m trying to say is: “Why are you translating with no effort?”

You can make the localization as silly or as serious or as medium as you want. Why aren’t you doing it?

Also:
When I translated CIU, I asked myself a lot of time: “Would I like this if I didn’t wrote it?”
Why some don’t ask themselves this?

4 Likes

At least you got a point. Sadly that translations can be easily ruined like that :frowning:

2 Likes

oh my god what have people done

I agree. Actually, including in all the destroying translators, will always, “always”, have some of them who want to against their country. This is an example for that thing. It is really disgusting when they scold Ho Chi Minh like that. They really think that this is a secret of them when they scold in that translations, but that’s wrong, the translations are available for all server in Vietnam, and they, maybe, dont know or they are deliberate to translate that . I hope iA will have a strict solution for them, for the destroying traslators

3 Likes

What have they done is that they destroyed translation and insulted Ho Chi Minh, the one who saved Vietnam. He is worthy to be respected, not to be scolded.

5 Likes

i think iA should create a small Language moderating group

Ok, user permanently banned and all his translations removed.

I have some items on my list to improve the control over translations (specifically, by upvoting/downvoting translations), however there are more important things to tend to first.

Also, I think people are overestimating the impact these ‘bad’ translations are having on the game. Just because you see a bad translation listed as an alternative, it doesn’t mean that that particular translation is visible to other players in the game. Only the original translator sees it (and anyone looking through the alternatives, of course).

21 Likes

We know, but the Vietnamese fan base is affected a lot and these bad translations are considered an embarrassment to the Vietnamese players

3 Likes

So we already know who is behind those translations, @KaizoKaioticVN already posted this in time before the original post got deleted

4 Likes

I looked up that Vietnamese Chicken Invaders group, appraently he got banned for 16 years based on a screenshot he provided.

Please don’t flood his Facebook messages with insults no matter how bad it is, he probably doesn’t know that everyone who translates can see it (although if you don’t know that you shouldn’t translate in the first place).

I disagree. Everything has a consequence, if he do anything, he must know what can happen next. He deserve those insults because he is a brat who disrupt many efforts. Vietnam is a country has a low level of internet-culture just because of him and several brats.

1 Like

4 Likes

He deserve no mercy. ABSOLUTELY NO MERCY. Because of his action, not only CIUVN players but also Vietnamese people won’t forgive him.

1 Like

I know that it’s unforgivable, but what he did is not the worst compared to some of the worst crimes in the world (even criminals in prison have some mercy by not having to deal with the internet insults), and I don’t want anyone to contribute more to the toxicity and drama that is caused by something only visible to a very small community, this CIU online game.

He already received punishment, may not be enough to some of you, but I’ve seen this a lot on Fandom Wiki / Wikipedia pages where people vandalize pages with dangerous political or NSFW stuff. Most of them don’t get away with it for long.

4 Likes

So, the translation for this would be “Has anyone ever come across a case like this? Please tell me how to fix it”. This is the “this is bug” case all over again.

7 Likes

Bonus: The one who posted what in the picture is the culprit of disrupting the Vietnamese translation, the one who was banned by @InterAction_studios