New Weapon Booster: Accumulator

I think charging by hits would solve 2 problems easy mission chicken and the percentage

And it also depends on power used

If the weapon hits number increases by power like Photo Swarn
You have to hit the chicken to fill the bar and it depends on every weapon
And the weapons like lightning Fryer well we can use seconds

Absolver: 7-10 hits
Plasma: 15-20 secs
Well i will try to work more with it
And figure it out somehow

But you get the idea

1 Like

Why would one weapon depend on power and not the others? That doesn’t make much sense.

Well i mean all of the i intended to but this phrase in the photon Swarn bec i couldn’t figure out how it would work but i will edit it no problem

1 Like

Ahem Ahem Ahem

Another thing you didn’t explain it + i didn’t read your post

1 Like

Charge by time should do, I can’t think of anything else that’ll work with all types of missions, except maybe charging by score.
And to make this

interesting, you can make it so it doesn’t charge while shooting, or make firepower or gifts refill the meter.

Edit: Just thought of another way, how about manual charging? here’s how it goes:
Double click to manually charge the meter (can’t shoot while doing so) until it’s full, then the booster can be used as intended, or have 2 modes to switch between charging and using the booster.

3 Likes

In my opinion, if this new booster can be competitive against the Overdrive, i think when the meter is fully charged, we double-tap not to increase the firing rate, because it may weaker than Overdrive. Because you may cause time to charge, then you have to wait when the meter is fully charged, you can double-tap, while the Overdrive can increase the firing rate any time.
Hmm i’m not sure but instead of the firing rate, i can suggest some suggestions here. What would you like to increase when you double-tap?

-Increase damage of each weapon: When you double-tap, depends on each weapon they will increase the damage. Example: In :zap:8, Positron Stream when double-tap, you will get 1500 damage units, instead of 900 damage units. And like i explained here, there will no increase the firing rate (read this carefully). Ohh, i’m just give the example, and what’s your opinion about this, you can reply later, because idk much about the number of the damage units.

-Keep the Heat HUD: After the meter is fully charged, the Heat HUD still run if you continue to fire. But if you double-tap, the Heat HUD will stop until the charge meter is over. While in that time, the Heat HUD can’t be drained or heated

-Increase the power of each weapon: Depends on each weapon, they will have their distinct power. Maybe the power will be more interesting than the max power of the muller we had known. However, this increase have a defect: Overheat faster. Because the power will stronger than you think, stronger than the max power of the muller in present. Example: You are using Plasma Rifle. If you double-tap, you will fire 2 plasma lazers, instead of 1 (Only applicable to H&C, Muller and VF) and you will get overheat faster while you keep double-tap. Note: I’m just give example

That’s all. How about you, what would you like to increase when double-tap?

4 Likes

Does the weapon booster necessarily have to boost weapons, considering they are simply called “boosters” in the first place? What I have in mind is a bit close to you, “borrowing” abilities of special weapons or other perishables in the game.

• Increase damage as you suggested like Damage Amplifier.

• Double click to instantly collect everything on the screen, helpful on certain waves but not much on other waves.

5 Likes

How about using near-miss chickens and their projectiles to charge the booster, the way Kris charge his TP in Deltarune?

4 Likes

I say scrap the idea.

1 Like

Nope.

You just thinking about that. If you use Damage Amplifier to increase the damage, then you double-tap to increase the firing rate. But following what am i say, this booster can’t increase the firing rate, just increase the damage.

Ok maybe you think that, but actually I haven’t thought anything about 2 these item while i’m trying to think how this booster competitive with Overdrive and balance in a game. Why I want the booster increase the damage, not the firing rate? I have explained:

Although how do you charge to fully, you have to waste a short time to be able to increase the firing rate.

1 Like

Meteor Storm also have a similar mechanic

What about combine these two factors into one. The second point quoted above solves the first point and the first point helps with the second point.

If the absolute damage is past through a ‘filter’ that, when multiplied by a certain percentage, would be added into the meter. These ‘filters’ could vary. Say we inflict x amount of damage to a regular chicken, then say 0.1% of this damage goes to fill the meter. This factor can be assigned to various entities thought the CIU. The only problem with this is the complexity of implementing it though. If each entity is categorized in group (eg. organic and inorganic) and subgroups, then it is possible to implement it with relative ease.

The bar can fill automatically as well, but it should be suffiently slow in charging. Say 10min it take to fill without inflicting damage on enermies and about 2 min if inflicting damage( depenedent on targets)

In uniqueness, the meter can full up and then it could start to fill again, overlapping the meter. The more the meter fills and overfills, the faster the weapon would fire ( Increases damage per second)

P.S. The figures mention above is use as an example and may need tuning to get a right balance.All I could do is suggest ideas.Behind the scenes, there are much work that was done by you to get a simple idea to work properly. I wish you luck in implementing this idea of yours.

2 Likes

Here’s my current iteration:

• The charge slowly increases on its own with time
  • The charge also increases by damaging enemies (damage is normalized, so this effectively means “by number of kills”)
  • The charge rate is non-linear – it starts off slowly and speeds up (to encourage saving up for a full charge)
  • While activated, no heat is generated.
  • While activated, the firing rate is increased exactly in the same way as with Overdrive.
  • While activated, the charge is slowly depleted. You can cease activation at any point and any remaining charge will be preserved. You can immediately activate it again. However, see next point.
  • After you cease activation, charging will not restart immediately; there will be a ‘dead’ period to discourage repeated stop/starts.

These are the current values. It will take a few iterations to make this balanced against Overdrive, so I’ve made these tweakable in the Excel. Also, in the interest of balancing, for v.105 (at least), any mission flown using the Accumulator will be automatically disqualified from competitive results.

Key Value Comment
accumulator.chargerate.quadraticfactor 200% How much the charge rate will speed up as charge increases (non-linear charging). A value of 100% means that the finishing rate is double the starting rate.
accumulator.chargerate.timebased 1/30 How much the charge increases automatically, simply by time passing. A formula of 1/t means that it will take t seconds to fully charge on its own (excluding effect of quadratic factor above)
accumulator.chargerate.deathbased 1/25 How much the charge increases with each kill. A formula of 1/k means that it will take k kills to fully charge (excluding effect of quadratic factor above)
accumulator.dischargerate 1/8 How fast it discharges when used. A formula of 1/t means that it will take t seconds to fully discharge
accumulator.chargesuspendtime 1 second For how long charging will be suspended after using.
17 Likes

It would be worth considering ways of outputting a booster in a different way to a firerate increase, you could do damage increase, or maybe even a pulse of very strong shots with intervals between them, or a greatly boosted firerate with less damaging shots (ensuring boosted dps remains similar to overdrive obviously). Lots of potential for varying playstyles.

As for how Accumulator is triggered, it sounds fairly reasonable to me but I’ll let more experienced users weigh in with their thoughts.

9 Likes

Granted, but the main stumbling block with this is that it’s hard to communicate to the player. Changing the rate is obvious visually, but changing the damage …? The Damage Amplifier uses sound to this end, but I think this would be unsuitable for something that’s so frequently activated.

9 Likes

I would suggest changing the bullet’s appearance, but that would require extra sprites if the appearance is being changed, and a color change would be jarring. The best solution I can think off the top of my head is expanding the bullet’s size to reflect the increased damage

6 Likes

Wouldn’t make the player think that bullets have bigger hitboxes? (I kinda like this)

I think that the most intuitive solution may be that or adding a particle effect around the ship

8 Likes

or make them glow red(der if it’s vulcan)

3 Likes