Let's talk about Boron Railgun

So you’re saying that they are slowing down the rate at which heat is gained, rather than increasing the total amount of heat that can be stored?

I guess with that interpretation, my theory would make much less sense.

1 Like

No, they increaſe the amount of heat beïng ſtored, but quantity of heat and temperature are two different things.
Think about to rooms, A and B. A is much larger than B.
If room A and room B are at the ſame temperature, they are in thermal equilibriüm, and you don’t get warmer or colder goïng from one to the other. No imagine that both rooms are roughly 5°C and you’d rather like to warm up a bit. You brought a ſmall ſpace heater, which you can plug in in either room. Do you ſettle yourſelf in room A or B?
B, becauſe it’s ſmaller, ſo it’ll heat up faſter.

Different materiäls alſo have different heat capacities. For example, Aluminiüm has roughly twice the heat capacity of iron (0,91 kJ/(kg K) vs. 0,45 kJ/(kg K)), meaning it takes twice as much energy to heat a given maſs of it the ſame amount. That beïng ſaid, aluminiüm is leſs denſe phyſically, meaning the block of aluminiüm would be much larger.

3 Likes

Ah.

True.

That’s how physics works, isn’t it? Yes, it is. I knew that. Of course. I was just testing that you knew that, which you do, which is great.

Which ultimately means you’re dead right and I’m dead wrong about the whole matter. :stuck_out_tongue:

(But in all seriousness, for some reason my head hadn’t figured out what a heat sink actually does, and your explanation makes way more logical sense than the way I was thinking about it, so thanks. :wink: )

3 Likes

I feel that Hypergun should have more spread in the volleys. Since this has turned into a topic discussing the reworks in general, I feel that this issue should also be addressed as the spread was what made Hypergun a better choice than Boron Railgun. So, do you think that there should be slightly more spread on the Hypergun?

true.

Changed in v.50 :medal_sports: Idea

9 Likes

Thank you for creating this discussion. I have an idea about the gift of this bullet.
:arrow_down:
GIFTNewBoronRailgun
or
GIFTIonBlasterFlash
If one day MoronRailgun had a gift, one for BoronRailgun and the other for MoronRailgun.
What is your opinion?

4 Likes

Now it’s your turn.
Which gift is for which bullet?
GIFTNewBoronRailgun
yellow box gift:

• Moron
  • Boron

0 voters

GIFTIonBlasterFlash
red box gift:

• Moron
  • Boron

0 voters

4 Likes

I choose yellow as boron because I’ve always think that yellow is boron (even I know its bullets is red now)

3 Likes

Yes.That’s why I put red ribbons.

2 Likes

It will be quite a challenge since you could misunderstood red gift as ion blaster :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Then projectile colour of Boron Railgun should be Yellow to Red, instead of Red to Yellow.

3 Likes

Or, we could only change the gift colours that are already confusing (like Vulcan). :wink:

5 Likes

We can even change the color for Moron, which is similar to the current shape of Boron (red to yellow) and change the color of Boron from yellow to red.

3 Likes

The next thing I thought about was the effect of Boron’s voice. If you pay attention, when you have a Hen Solo spaceship in the chicken invaders 4, the sound and color of Boron change. It looks like a moron, but it has a different sound. I thought that If the color of Boron turns to red, its sound will be like the sound of Hen Solo’s Boron.

2 Likes

For this, a Glenz Map should be made:

ia_makeglenzmap(¡palette¡,255,boronGreen,boronBlue,maparray[¡map¡]);

Things between ¡ aren’t really from the code, they are text explaining what should be there (what normally is made by typing ). Where it says ¡palette¡ there shouldn’t be written ¡palette¡, but the palette variable name should be written. Also, where it says ¡map¡, the map number should be written. Imagine the palette is pcxpal and the map is 2. Then it should be ia_makeglenzmap(pcxpal,255,boronGreen,boronBlue,maparray[2]);. Next, to assign the Glenz Map to the sprite, there should be spr[¡slot¡].map:=¡map¡;. In ¡slot¡, the sprite slot (number) should be written. In ¡map¡, the map number should be written. Imagine the sprite slot is 1 and the map number is 2. Then it would be spr[1].map:=2;.
For the sprite to look better, it should be transparent (spr[¡slot¡].transparent:=true;). ¡slot¡ should be the sprite slot. Imagine sprite slot is 1. Then it would be spr[1].transparent:=true;.

If we imagine the sprite slot for boron railgun is 1, the map number for the boron railgun’s glenz map is 2 and the palette is pcxpal, this should be written in code:

ia_makeglenzmap(pcxpal,255,boronGreen,boronBlue,maparray[2]);
spr[1].map:=2;
spr[1].transparent:=true;

All this code was written in Ultra VGA Engine 32-bit (Turbo Pascal 7.0).
I will try to make a video of this.

Sorry for bumping.

You can’t bump, don’t worry

1 Like

I will repeat it to my death. It’s still bumping, we only got different rules for that. So it’s still bumping, but you won’t be punished for that (unless it’s a spam bump)

6 Likes

EDIT: When I said “tomic” I wanted to say “topic”. Also, at the end of the video I accidentaly removed an = (in boronGreen:=0; I put boronGreen:0;). I corrected that later and it’s corrected in the file of the description (BORON2.PAS).

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.