Idea: automatic weapon balancing

Really tho do you think this system will make much change on the weapons? A weapon effectiveness is already decided when iA create or change it, the damage is just a small modification. So you think that If neutron can oneshot everything people will use it in challenges hope that they will win?

2 Likes

Give me an estimate for how quickly the oscillation will die down, because keeping the game in early access for another 6 months just to test something that might work and isn’t necessary seems like a really bad idea. Unless you’d prefer to do it the Sophodot way, and have it change for eternity.

3 Likes

Until all the gameplay elements are done then we have to wait until the system stable. iA will decide how it done however if they accept this.

Where did you get that?

BTW, this has nothing to do with neural networks or the like. This is a Ćżimple programme that goes “Huh. Weapons A and B are the moïŹ… uĆżed by far. I gueĆżs they need a nerf. I’ll buff weapon C becauĆże it’s practically unuĆżed.” and then the next time “Now weapon D needs a nerf, as does weapon A again. I’ll buff weapon E.”

If you’re competitive enough to teïŹ… all the weapons priör to flyĂŻng a challenge to Ćżee which is the beïŹ… one, then it Ćżeems fair that he who does the moïŹ… work has the beïŹ… chance of victory. I’m content juïŹ… to fly it.

1 Like

At first iA did state that they want all weapons to be equal popular and give equal damage. But now since we already know that will never happen we don’t know what iA’s current purpose when they reopen this post.

I requeïŹ…ed that the topic be reöpened, becauĆże I had recently linked to it and thought that “it would be nice if people could append their objections to the end.”

1 Like

@1galbatorix1 what do you think

So it’s not that iA want to reopen this post, what to do if they already throw this idea into a can

Placing “might” in this sentence is kinda a stretch. It cannot work and it won’t work. Ever. You know this, I know this, everyone who has any idea about how video game mechanics work, knows this. It doesn’t matter if the changes are fast or not, this idea is destined to fail, because it is nonsensical on fundamental level.

• Popularity=/= effectiveness
  • Weapon being unfun and unused because of its design, not lack of damage(Absolver Beam)
  • Current data clearly showing this system would want to buff already OP weapons.

Those things are pure facts, that were said countless times at this point. The other side pretends that they aren’t a thing and keeps writing the same nonsensical things over and over again. The only “arguments” are “But nyeaah, it could work, we don’t know.” and “But if the changes are slow!!!”

We know it won’t work, and it obviously doesn’t matter how fast the changes are. Anyone with some understanding of math knows this. So writing that this “might” work, is pretty wrong, don’t you think?

I think that posting two posts in a row instead of editing your message is just as good as things you write in those posts.

8 Likes

From common sense?
Right now Corn Shotgun would get a damage boost if this got implemented and corn shotgun already deals high damage. It would be a straight game of ping-pong with weapons and it would never get stable. Therefore the weapons would get broken. Maybe mentioned by IA Overdrive system would gain something from it, but it would also need another Weapon Balance Program.

I know this, but your companion 1uws likely doesn’t because earlier he mentioned using AI for that.

So you think that grinding through 15 (or whatever many weapons exist now in the game) missions (because if you want to see weapon virtuosity bonus for 1 weapon you must use only 1 weapon from the start right?) at the start of every game session just to check the stats is good? Also, wouldn’t it mess with AWB for the next day? It’s boring grinding and has nothing to do with being competitive.

5 Likes

Q:

A:

S (ïŹ…atement):

R (reĆżponĆże):

If you’re not competitive, why do you need to “learn the ïŹ…ats again” rather than juïŹ… improviĆżing?

Who’s that?

This is useless, I thought iA wanted to discuss about this. Im out of here. Btw I don’t know about the data and i can’t find it fuck it.

:thinking:
Seriously though, chill out guys

9 Likes

Since I’m being asked a lot about this, here’s my current position: automatic weapon balancing, at least as described in my original post, won’t work.

The fundamental problem is that when you’re looking at average usage statistics (i.e., popularity), you’re conflating the 99% of players who have absolutely no clue what weapon is the best (and hence are using other criteria for their selection, such as “looks cool”, or “well, that’s what dropped”) with the 1% of experts who look at in-depth DPS values, use manual fire (overdrive or not), and select weapons based on mission type. In other words, the potentially valuable data is drowned out by a lot of garbage. Therefore, it is quite possible for automatic balancing to make the “best” weapons become even better, and vice versa.

This could potentially be fixed by only looking at a subset of players fulfilling certain criteria, but the user base is so small currently that the sample would be very noisy (which would lead to bad adjustments).

I might revisit this decision in the future as the community grows, but automatic balancing is off the table for now.

16 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.