[Game mode/wave] Soaring asteroids

a) User Interface is not a word that should be used here. Maybe Control scheme or something with control, but not UI

b) We already have differences in control - touchpad, gamepad, joystick, mouse, keyboard, touchscreen. Every device need different settings so adding possibility to control rotation won’t be making anything more different than it already is

c) Well, game over for you. There are many games in which you have full control over your character. And I’m not speaking about VR FPP game level control.

d) CI4,5 and Universe is perfect example of not 100% control, because you have here rotating mechanic which has effect on your spaceship and you don’t have any way to prevent or activate it so you don’t have control over it - not-100% control.

e) Whether you like it or not, Chicken Invaders is a SHMUP game and starting from CI4 it is no more only vertical scrolling shmup. Defining mechanic of Chicken Invaders is that you shoot chickens with spaceship that you control.

f) Not having control over rotations of your spaceship is not making the game challenging, it makes it longer (You must wait for a game to kindly rotate you in wanted direction) and less dynamic (which means it’s also more boring).

g) I’m not saying that we need to immediately make CIU have control over rotation. I just want it to become a thing in the future (hopefully soon future). Good game to look up

h) I’m not also saying that we should take a big leap and make CIU twin-stick shooter (to be honest I don’t played any twin-stick space shooters so I can’t provide example) or VR 3D area shooter (The Lab - Xortex 26XX).

The main problem I see with this idea is that if you’re forced to do this wave with low firepower, you won’t be able to break some asteroids no matter how fast you are and you’ll inevitably crash into them.
Regular asteroid waves let you dodge most of the time if you can’t break the bigger asteroids.

It’s true that it feels quite different from the standard controls but I don’t think it’s bad to try and be a bit innovative.

2 Likes

Can you explain how would you like for the controls to look like? Also every wave with movement there would need to be a warning that “You can rotate your ship!”.

a)

Why not? It has to do with input/output.

2) 

Except of courſe that the waves would need to be deſigned keeping in mind the poſſibility of rotation.

III) It’s a good thing I had a maximum of five bob then, iſn’t it?

δ) Yes…I’m with you ſo far…

E)

…But you don’t have control over firing direction.

vi)

Counterexample: aſteroid waves at an…uncomfortable angle.

This is down to wave deſign, and is an important conſideration.

Whether or not that follows, you ſtill need to conſider people who don’t have a thouſand-dollar gaming ſetup. How would you control it from a pc?

Whatever number I’m up to now)

I’d remove “immediätely” place the “not” five ſpaces to the right.

I don’t.

Whatever number I’m up to now + 1)

Yeah, I don’t think this ſhould be done either.

2 Likes

Your numeration is triggering my neatness

3 Likes

I wrote that you would require 2 more buttons - to rotate left and right. However as I also said it would make the mouse not so great because basic mouse has only 3 buttons. It’s not a big problem if someone has mouse with 5 buttons, keyboard nearby or gamepad.

I suppose that making us able to control rotation only in waves that had forced rotations before is some kind of improvement, but I would like to be able to rotate my ship in every wave.

Adding 2 more buttons doesn’t make it another type of UI. It’s still GUI (or according to wikipedia, MUI)

Right now we can take a @Davoid idea and do it only on waves that were designed to have forced rotation in mind.

Oh really? I didn’t see that!
That’s the thing that we’re still discussing about

Repeat after me: We’re talking about forced rotations. Asteroid waves didn’t have forced rotation so it’s a bad example since it has nothing do with… yeah, forced rotations

Oh, man. Here we go again.
A thousand dollar gaming setup woooow. What I could build with that money.

Right now I’m playing CIU on laptop with broken screen (connected to desktop monitor), basic wireless keyboard and wireless optical Logitech mouse (yeah, my mouse is the best, I bought it for 18,50$. However it’s not so precise because it’s optical and yeah, I play on wireless. I don’t need any explanations how bad it is)

Still, my point is that if you have keyboard (just basic, standard, cheapest keyboard) and mouse (basic standard, cheapest mouse with 3 buttons) you would be still able to have 2 more buttons and it wouldn’t cost you single cent. It would just cost you to get over traditions and try new things.

Oh, and did you know that there are mice that don’t even have 3 buttons? They can’t fire special weapons or use satellites (depending on their key bindings). We must delete satellites for them. It’s not fair.

See my answer to Davoid.

That’s your and @anon27929001 opinion.

Yeah, CIU is mix of CI1-CI5. However if InterAction Studios decide to make another spin-off in the future I would be happy to have it as twin-stick shooter or something other. You know, it’s a spin-off. It doesn’t have to be similar to episodes. It just needs to be in the same Universe. And have us killing chickens. Maybe Chicken Invaders action RPG.

Oh god, what have I done?

3 Likes

what could pawssibly go wrong next?

Oh, right, this is your thread. Sorry.

You can call yourself “Sokovia Accords”

Jasteroids 1997 (UNRELEASED) Multiplayer asteroids clone for Java.

1 Like

Hey, @Traveller get back. We didn’t settle this.

1 Like

just as we thought what could pawssibly go wrong hehe

Hmm… I personally still don’t see the point of spaceship control, as in my opinion, for turning to be viable, it would need a fixed speed. Kind of like fixed speed for the keyboard movement. Thus turning couldn’t happen quickly and will have you take part of your attention to steering. If we did quick turns, it would be unreliable and unprecise.
It’s eh, especially that the devs can specifficaly tailor each movements in the waves, making them better and more varied. Gyroscope malfunction, the one with corner miniguns, fire spread… would they be the same?
I don’t see many positives outweighing the negatives here. It especially nerfs the mouse. Is it neccesarily good?

1 Like

VerMishelb is right. That’s not what this thread is for. If it’s that important, ſtart a new one.

@Davoid

That’s possible to test, customize and make good.

Gyroscope malfunction stays the way it is because… your spaceship has gyroscope malfunction and you can’t control it. The other wave that can still mess up with your rotation is Vader Chicken (I know it’s called differently, but this way it’s more recognizable) boss fight because this boss is using force to control your spaceship.

The other waves however don’t have anything that states the rotation happens because of some enemy force controlling you or your spaceship has a malfunction. And adding it now is just a lame move because it’s lazy. We’re in space. We need highly functional spaceship and no one will say that we use something which has gyroscope malfunction in so many waves.

It’s also not like we need to change waves that use forced rotations. We just add possibility to rotate spaceship and leave waves as they are. Sure, it would make some of them easier, some maybe even harder, but you would have more ways to play them. And aren’t games about playing how you want?

+new ways to play the same waves and discover the best way to finish them
+more dynamic gameplay - no more waiting for chickens or forced rotations
+giving player full control over spaceship
-nerfs the mouse (but buffs the player)
-it would need some testing (but that’s what we do with CIU right now)

@Traveller

All he said is “Oh god, what have I done”.

obraz
Control over spaceship rotations

No offensive but… I dont think its necessary, most of waves are about to systemically turning. And honestly CIU is a mostly one hand calming game for me. So another button would make controls harder.

No offense, but does someone here actually read posts?

@VerMishelb idea was that in one wave or game mode, instead of having 2D area to fly you are moved to single point - center of the screen and by moving your mouse you rotate the spaceship.

My idea was that PEOPLE WHO WANT more precise controls would be able to go to options and bind the keys of their own choice to rotate spaceship left and right so you are able to have more dynamic controls and you’re able to become more powerful. OPTIONAL way of controling.